1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distortion on bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DNbass17, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Sounds peng

76.1%
  2. Haven't tried it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not for me

23.9%
  1. One of my favourite sub-genres of metal has got to be stoner, it is a relatively underground scene but the SM gigs i have been to are way better than any others I've been to. The main reason for this is the bass. I love the sound of bass with distortion, so a whole genre devoted to distorted bass? that's the one for me.

Generally, the heavier the music gets, the lower the guitars get down tuned, some times even down to F# standard. However in other cases its the bass that takes the cake and is used as the main instrument, with the guitar just playing psychedelic riffs high up.

WE NEED MORE MUSIC LIKE THIS

The bass is such a cool instrument, i never got as much satisfaction from playing the guitar. Especially with Distorted Bass.

I use my Epiphone EB-0 through my RAT pedal and it sounds way better than a guitar would do through it.

HENCE stoner is cool cause distorted bass + guitar doesn't sound as peng with gain as bass does :)

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm way into distortion, but i also like post punk, noise pop, goth industrial, and electro clash
    considering that i'm in my 40s now i'm content overdriving a mesa d180 with a vintage L2000,
    however if i was a strong young fellow i'd definitely get a meatsmoke and more speakers than two orange 115s

3. sigterm

sigterm Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    My ray is strung with hybrid slinky and tuned c std. I run it into b7k> angry troll> tall font Russian> noise gate> spectracomp then into two amps running a 212 and 810 (and sometimes one more amp) with mod pedals I can throw it into some wild feedback and control with wah, I can also get drone moving with airflow over strings. Can get real dark and heavy into the groove and mod the lead over it. Pretty fun, but I can't hear for a week after.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

This one time, at band camp, I found a bass music related topic in TB:OT :angel:

Ellery, Stumbo, twocargar and 6 others like this.
  5. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Stoner anything isn’t really my cup of tea. But welcome to TalkBass even so.

I think I’m going to watch this thread. Because who knows? I just might learn something.

Sometimes the best way to become a better musician is to get outside your box and spend some time getting more familiar with a genre of music you don’t think you’re into.

:)

7. I subscribe to the Sandwich Theory of Music in that it is all good and all had depends. Sometimes some tasty hot distortion is perfect on an egg sammich but not so good with peanut butter when some grape jelly chorus be more better.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I never really got into bass distortion until last fall and don't really have extensive experience. After trying a Digitech BassDriver and MXR Blowtorch, I stayed away from that effect for a long while until getting an MXR Bass Distortion. I use it sparingly and on rather light setting (closer to OD) and it sounds pretty good to my ears !

gjohnson441496 and Frodolicious like this.
  9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Don't really go in for effects. Welcome to TalkBass. Here's a like to get you going.

TH63, bearfoot and DNbass17 like this.
  10. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    As soon as you plug in a bass, you are artificially changing both it’s volume and it’s tone. Everything you do with pedals after that, is simply a matter of degree.

But realize that you’ve already effected the bass just by plugging it in.

11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I think most bass lines would sound better with either full-on distortion, fuzz, or some sort of overdrive.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Matt Dean and DNbass17 like this.
  12. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    The MXR Blowtorch was my first bass distortion pedal but wasn't what I expected. Bought a mxr bass distortion + and set it so it's slightly noticeable. I'll add the Russian Pickle fuzz to that.

Bassmike62 and DNbass17 like this.
  13. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I love using distortion but more in the Geddy Lee sort of way since I’m big into prog rock. Of cours Lemmy is famous for using exclusively distorted bass. I also like the bass line in From the Pinnacle to the Pit by Ghost, it has tasty distortion.

Rickter, DNbass17 and AL_BASS like this.
  14. aldaa

aldaa Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Alabama
    I love distortion on bass... Type O Negative, Rotten Sound's Exit album, OM, Acid King, Doom (the band)

I could go on

Nashrakh, Feedbacker and DNbass17 like this.
  15. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    Distortion is good. One question, what's peng? I've said it so much it's lost all meaning

mellowgerman, mikeyjm2 and DNbass17 like this.
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

1st rule about peng is we don't talk about peng.

17. Gotta have fuzz and overdrive.......and a big fat doobie:cigar:

Mpike, DNbass17 and HolmeBass like this.
  18. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    God I’m old...

49, and can’t keep up on the slang.

D Bowden, dab12ax7ef and DNbass17 like this.
  19. I get more use of OD, and then fuzz, but there’s one original that the intro really came to life when I clicked on my Rodenburg 808. It is billed as an OD but to my ears once the gain is past ~50% it sounds like distortion to me. That setting actually sounds great in the mix.

DNbass17 likes this.
  20. I think just about everybody goes through a phase of heavy sounding music....when they’re a teenager.