1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dividing the Spoils

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by tomhanzo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Hey Justin :smug:

Umm i have a question maybe you can help me with. This isn't really a fact, i guess, more of an opinion.

My band is headlining our first show in a couple weeks and we get the door to divide among ourselves and the other two bands.

What is the best way to divide it? Give each band the same amount? Divide it evenly among all the players?

Most shows around town give the same to each band and then the band splits it among themselves.

I just dont want to be the ******* you know.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    If you are the headliner and have the OBVIOUSLY bigger draw of the people attending, you could work out a percentage, such as 40% you guys, 30% + 30%. Or some such ratio, higher or lower.

If the term "headlining" is in namesake only, and not related to actual bodies that are truly there for you alone, then you could divide three ways, then split it equally, I guess.

Anyone else?

JMJ

3. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Well we are headlining, but we are a new band. We live and play in Huntington, WV. There are three bars to play at and a music store. We have been together since February and have been doing open mics till now. All three bars liked us so much, they are giving us shows all month. We open for someone next Friday, headline on the 23rd, opening on May 1st, and headline on May 2nd.

All that was a little trivial, but im excited cause this is my first band that ever left the garage :smug:.

I guess we will just split it among the bands evenly. I just didnt know if there was like an unspoken rule about it or something.

Once we get recorded i'm gonna post links, and see what you think Justin. I'm really pumped man, so just ignore me lol.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree with Justin. If you have a following that's obviously coming to see you, you should reward yourself for it and not feel the least little bit bad. In your shoes, new band...good reputation but probably not much of a following yet...might pull a gig from the other bands on the bill one day...and no offense but probably not getting a whole buttload of money to split where it matters that much...I'd probably go evens unless they use your gear. Then I'd definitely do a 40-30-30. That's services rendered and they shouldn't complain about that.

5. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I agree with Jimmy and Justin. I think that considering the situation you just explained it would be fair to go even, except for the equipment issue, which changes it all. The money isnt that huge I suppose and it always seemed fair to me for a new band!:D

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Well even it is. The only reason they would use our gear is if something horrible happened right before the show.

7. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    depending your clout with the doorman, he could keep a count of who everyone that pays is there to see (piece of paper, baseball umpires' counter). divide the money according to what percentage of the crowd paid to see which band. you also get a good idea of the size of your fan base. if have played/gone to many clubs that do it this way.

8. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Really? I dont think i have ever seen that.

You guys dont understand how small our city is. Like a good turn out for a show is 70 people. Is that normal for other places in the country?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    70 is probably high for an original band show in Orlando. Down here, you play to other band members and their girlfriends.

10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Really? I guess since theres only so many bars in town, everyone is forced to listen to us lol.

11. My $.02 on the issue is that it's going to be a LOT better to leave a good first impression with the other bands than to line your own pockets. I would say split it evenly, even if you DO bring in more people. If there isn't much money to spilt, then YOU take the hit, and split the profits between the other bands. The bands that you're playing with should respect that, and they'll be more likely to book you guys for more shows in the future.

Realistically, though, the odds are that if you're all somewhat new bands, you aren't going to bring in tons of people. If you don't bring in a ton of people, there won't be enough money that it would be worth trying to get a higher percentage. In fact, I would really encourage you to brace yourselves to not make ANY money off the gig, or even lose some cash.

12. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thats a good point man. well if I can make gas money I'm happy, because we are a newish band.