1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Fender P using Fender replacement parts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndLobster, Apr 18, 2021.

1. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA

Hey everyone! I wanted to share this vid and the end result cause I'm so impressed with the final product. My goal was to build a killer P bass using Fender replacement parts, including their new roasted maple necks. All parts were purchased by me, and total cost ranges from 900-1000 depending on where you get your stuff (1k for fender direct, some parts can be had for cheaper on Amazon or other retailers). Total build time was a little under 3 hrs.

B-Mac, _Obra_, Wisebass and 41 others like this.
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Nice video

Sorry don't mean to step on your thread or take away from what you did here...

....however some of the labor and cost can be mitigated by buying used (holes already drilled...maybe even an already loaded) or buying from a place like the Stratosphere

Guitar Parts, Bodies, Necks, Pickups, Fender, Gibson and more | The STRATosphere

I have managed to build quite a few nice basses for far less than what they would cost new by buying used Bodies and Necks (some of which were already loaded) it takes a lot of time to search for parts but if you want to do it on the cheap it's worth it...in the long run

183_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=_kPNm6evJGAAX8sy98i&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.jpg

The P/J bass seen here I put together from random parts sourced from all over the internet...all used...Craigslist, Reverb, Talk Bass, and all together I have less than $450.00 into all of it

I started doing this four years ago....on my birthday...every year I build a bass made with random parts and after playing it for a few months I then donate it to a less fortunate player, or raffle it off and donate the money to a worthy cause

everything on the bass is Fender/Squier except the tuners (Schaller) and bridge (Omega)...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  3. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Killer build and great tips :)

4. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Thanks...I have really enjoyed all of your videos thus far...and you even have me thinking about picking up the Schecter Corsair due to your video review

Another reason I bring up used parts is some people don't have the experience or the skill needed to drill the holes for tuners or string retainers or pick-guards or bridges...etc....(If you look closely at the headstock in my picture the guy I purchased this neck from drilled all the way through the headstock in several places during his attempted install of said parts) I got it for a super cheap price and plugged the holes...

buying a used neck or body can bypass these skilled labor steps and also mitigate cost for new builders...(just a thought)

5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Parts builds are fun! Thanks for sharing lobster. Hopefully this will inspire anyone to try that’s thinking about a build. :)

Mine came in around 400 bucks, due mostly to used neck and dirt-cheap used squier body. My favorite bass:

9CA942A9-63F8-472C-BCBE-A8B6DBC85BDE.jpeg

6. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Nice...dig that color

Mine is also a Squier body Pewter Metallic Standard (Indonesia made)

yep I love places like the Stratosphere where you can pick up what is essentially a new MIM neck that comes loaded with tuners and string retainer for $250.00 dollars and all you have to do is bolt it on!

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think it's great (@LowEndLobster's fender from fender parts)! it also substantiates my claim (guess?) that a great ax can be built for $1000 or less from the best parts --- in the OP's case: they're fender parts, not necessarily the best parts, depending on one's POV. also: fender parts tend to be pricier than other parts suppliers regardless of quality. but the OP makes the point! neat video, neat ax! :thumbsup:

8. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    it can totally be done and usually the only way to get exactly what you want in an instrument when you can't buy it off the shelf....that's the reason i got into building parts basses...

this one is my favorite...so far

112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=1ih0kwlUlxUAX-DDL6h&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.jpg

I call it "Fanboy"

Dee Dee Ramone Body
    Geddy MIJ Neck
    EMG Geezer Pups
    Badass Bridge

Well under the $1000.00 dollar mark

B-Mac, Nuage420, 20GLJazz and 17 others like this.
  9. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I wanted a Vintera neck for my Player P. I can't drill and don't trust any local Luthier here so i ordered a neck from the Stratosphere. It's off a new bass so it already has tuners and nut installed. After some minor fretwork I'm a happy camper. Even with outrageous shipping and import taxes to Europe i spent less than i would had i ordered separate parts.

10. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    View attachment 4239688
    Right on. I did a parts swap to make this bass, as it is not offered by Fender.
    IMG_3517.jpg

11. JRA

:thumbsup:

nice ax, too! :thumbsup:

all of mine are from parts: my most expensive parts ax ended up being about $670. my least expensive is about $450. the average cost of the six instruments i play/rotate is $512...half of what the OP spent to make an actual fender vs. a "fender-shaped object."

blonde P.jpg j-bass.jpg red P.jpg

B-Mac, Wisebass, skycruiser and 5 others like this.
  12. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Oh man.... that red and black is right up my alley!

C Stone, Killing Floor and JRA like this.
  13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Cool vid.

14. JRA

who doesn't like a red P-bass, right? :D TBH: P-basses aren't my thing but those are just so fun to play it's easy to just 'go along'! :whistle:

15. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    My roster has every common bass covered except for a P with flats.

JRA likes this.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As if I don’t already have enough basses. I’ve been wanting to do a parts Precision. Parts GAS!

C Stone and Killing Floor like this.
  17. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Awesome!

I am doing a similar build with the Fender MIJ arctic white P bass body and the roasted Vintera 60s jazz neck. All Fender parts, most of the rest of the parts from the American Original P.

Seeing this vid makes me so excited for mine to get finished! All I need are tuners.

Do you mind if I DM you about these tuners?

C Stone likes this.
  18. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Excellent!
    This is the exact project I've had in mind for the last few months... can't wait to watch the video :D

C Stone and LowEndLobster like this.
  19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nicely done.

This is my "Mary Kaye" parts P bass I assembled using parts I had collected over a couple of decades for other unrelated projects but I wound up not using them. I rediscovered them during a basement cleanup and realized I had enough parts for a bass. Unlike yours, the only parts on mine that are Fender are the strings and the pickguard.

Bass.jpg

Heavy Blue, B-Mac, Nuage420 and 5 others like this.
  20. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    i`ve been getting custom P basses made for nearly 40 yrs mostly custom painted for different festivals i`ve played at over the yrs this is the current one being done for an up and coming festival gd1.jpeg gd2.jpeg gd3.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021