Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DMB live last night...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I was fortunate to get a free ticket to see DMB live at the local 'large venue' in Albuquerque last night. It's an outdoor facility with lots of seating and a huge grass area. The crowd faces west, and we were treated to a spectacular sunset as well as a stellar summer evening, which Dave noted more than once. What a great show, very professional, well done with both sound, lighting and all effects. The band is very tight, and they genuinely appeared to be having fun. They played a strong 110-120 minutes and the place was packed. I must say as I get older, concert going is more pain than pleasure, but last night was the best experience I've had in ten years. I'm just a casual fan of the band, but they were great and so was the whole evening. Easy access in and out, no long lines, pretty much headache free.

I enjoy Stephen Lessards playing, very solid, not flashy, fits in perfect with the band. i couldn't tell what amp he was using but he had what looked like 3 Ampeg SVT cabinets. I could barely see the speaker outlines when the bright lights came up. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like he had two 8x10's sandwiching a 4x15. Anybody confirm this??

Anyway a great show well worth the price of admission. :bassist:

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I envy you, would love to check them out, Carter Beauford owns, stefan is very tasteful too!

3. Hey,

I'm a huge DMB fan and seeing a show in NM must've been awesome! Carter is a bad, bad man and Stefan isn't too shabby either. :D

I believe Stefan uses two 8x10 cabs and an 2x15 in the middle.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've seen them I think 6 or 7 times. The last show I saw was one of the best ones, even though the venue is horrible. It was at Texas Stadium, which has poor sound and not the best views, but he played a good 3+ hours without a break.

Everytime I've seen them they play as tight or tighter than their studio stuff and thats something I always like to see. I think this band shines as a live performance.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm a big DMB fan, saw them in MA this year. They are definitely one of the best live bands I've seen. All players are very talented and fun to watch. I'm getting older too and it's fun to just sit and enjoy a show like DMB.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You didn't go anywhere near their tour bus did you? I hear it can be hazardous to your health! :D

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    No, I didn't, but I watched it arrive. Big, black bus with 7 ac units on top. Looked like something the government would own.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Only if you're in a boat :p

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I'm not sure if you've heard about DMB's bus, it's been in the news the last few days. I guess they were on a bridge in Austin, TX (I think) and someone emptied the septic tank-all 800 lbs. of it. Unfortunately, there was a tour boat under the bridge and everyone on it got covered. Anyway, the city is considering charges, but the driver denies doing anything.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, I even saw that on CNN - very unclassy move for such a big money making machine. I'd sue the **** out of them if I were one of those poor people on the boat.

11. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

Chicago. I was on the River Taxi behind it. Messy.

Look for the fecal samples on eBay next week. :D

12. I don't think they would want the "**** out of them" again... :p

13. hey, did any of you guys hear some new songs in these shows?
    if so, what were they like?
    similar to the busted stuff cd, or a different vibe?