1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I need a D.I. box with my amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmone, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Alright so I want to record my bass and I am a totally noobie when it comes to this. I've never done it and I'm not entirely sure where to start. All I want is to get my bass onto my computer to record with while keeping my amp settings/pedals.

So this is my amp head [​IMG]

It says "D.I." and then under it, it says "POST EQ". Now can I rightfully assume this will do exactly what I want?

If so how do I get that onto my computer. What sort of cable(s) will I need to get this to work the way I want.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I really don't know what to do here. This is my first time even trying this.

2. maxsample

maxsample

Feb 17, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    you don't need a separate di box with that amp. all you need to do is plug an xlr cable into the di jack, and plug the other end into whatever audio interface you have running with your computer. the POST EQ means that the signal being sent out the di will be affected by whatever your EQ setting are on the amp, as opposed to PRE EQ which would just send the bass signal as is, no EQ.

3. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Cool, exactly what I was assuming. Now the problem is... would something like this work?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's got the wrong gender of XLR plug; also it was wired to bridge a stereo output into a mono input. You need one that keeps the + and - wires separate.

5. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Totally didn't even notice that when I looked it up. I assumed it would have female end xlr to a male end 3.5mm. Um is it possible someone can shoot me a link to something. Preferably to a site I can just buy it straight off of.

6. maxsample

maxsample

Feb 17, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Hosa XVM115 (15') | Sweetwater.com

I'm not 100% sure this will work though, as di's put out a single balanced signal, whereas computer 1/8" jacks typically are wired unbalanced stereo. but that's the cable anyways

7. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Alright then my next question is. Traditionally how is it done with D.I. boxes? If more than one cable is needed then so be it. I want it to work.

8. maxsample

maxsample

Feb 17, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    well the "best" way to do it is to have a firewire/usb box of some type (mbox for example) that you can plug an xlr directly into

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I had some success recording my bass on my laptop just a week ago. In my case, I went directly from my

sansamp DI > cheap 5 channel mixer > dual RCA to 1/8" cable > the mic jack of my laptop.

This isn't probably how you're doing to do it, though. For one thing, I didn't even use the XLR out of my pedal. I used the 1/4" instrument jack.

What I might do, though, is cut the mixer out of the equation entirely. It's providing a bit of EQ, but I think I could reproduce that on the computer. All I need to bypass it is one of those Monster 1/4" to 1/8" get-your-guiltar-into-your-ipod type cables. They cost like $17, but what the heck.

10. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I have one of those iPod cables for when I want to doodle and don't have my amp with me. The problem is, the quality is TERRIBLE! I would rather hum the bass notes into my microphone than deal with that thing. I thought it might just be a bad unit, nope. I also tried my brother who has a different make/model one for his iPhone. Same problem.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've recorded with an amp's XLR out by taking a mic cable, getting an XLR to 1/4" transformer at Radio Shack for $20, then getting an adapter for the 1/4" plug that changes it into whatever format your computer takes. Cheap and it works well, though not the most elegant solution.

12. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Dang! But maybe it won't be terrible for me? I'm coming out of a DI/preamp type pedal. Good strong signal. And I'm not going into some goofy software that comes with the cable. I'll be going into GarageBand, which sounds pretty ok to me.

I don't know. Maybe I should continue to use the mixer in the middle. Perhaps it's doing some good after all---adding some gain and making the setup usable.

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    That's what I'm talking about. In my case it would terminate in a 1/8" stereo male.

Although, I don't really need to use the XLR out on my sans amp, do I? This is just for scratch tracks between rehearsals, after all. I can just use the same 1/4" instrument cable I would ordinarily use to hook the pedal board up to my amp. Then no transformer would be needed.

Man this does get confusing quickly.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Right Scott. Come to think of it, you could also use a 1/4" cable out of the amp's effect send and adapt it with no transformer. Cheap and it works.

15. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Okay so let's say I got one of these Amazon.com: XLR Female To 1/4 Male Line Matching Transformer 6 Cord: Musical Instruments

and then used one of these suckers

1/4" female to 1/8" male stereo adapter

it should work?

It's weird because the only way those cables will work are when you have your app turned on and use the headphone jack on the device as a connection to your microphone jack on your computer. The apps in my opinion don't handle the bass signal all that well. There are so many variables here but that has been my experience with them.

Hey no worries, we are on the same boat here. I'm just as curious as you are about all of this.

Look guys I'm not recording an album here, I want to make covers of myself playing smoke on the water to impress the bi#@ches. No seriously I just want to record demos and samples to band mates.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The transformer is right, the adapter I don't think is. Wouldn't know for sure without knowing what jack you have on the soundcard, but that looks like a stereo adapter and you are sending a mono signal. Might need someone to help you find the right adapters, but most Radio Shacks should have them.

Also check out my post about the effects send. That should work without needing a transformer, just the right adapter.

17. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    That's the problem. I just want to find the adapters. I figured this would all be possible just want to know where to look and what I should be buying.

Alright so when I saw your post about the effects send thing I thought of this... here is something I've been using for quite some time for something unrelated to my bass playing but here is a picture. Do you think it could work ...

[​IMG]

Update: I unplugged the male-male and put headphone into the 1/4 adapter ... no luck what's so ever.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It might. It's not the "right" thing to use, but it might work. Not too sure. Sometimes I can get stuff like that to work, sometimes I can't. That's a tip/ring/sleeve doohickey, which is stereo, and basses use tip/sleeve, which is mono.

19. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I updated my other post but I've noticed that while tapping on my headphone I hear a slight thump sound coming from my cabinet. Don't think that's of any help. Unless it is :oops: ...

20. In my experience, yah it should. You could simplify even more and just plug the bass directly into the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and it would likely work fine. It might record a stereo track with one side showing no signal, but you can change it to a mono track after recording.