1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need a new Bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Nov 24, 2018.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I have a beautiful Ibanez Sr 1300 (it's great Bass and I can't be more comfortable with the neck )
    I have Yamaha bb415 in beautiful color and it's the most 5 string neck I ever touched .even Ibanez 5bstring necks were too thick for me so it's kind of the best match .
    I have fender rumble 100 ,still learning use it but I get nice tone with it.(expect for slap )

Now I'm thinking about a fat humbucker or p bass tone.something better than my Yamaha ,like a fender p bass sound .
    Because I feel my Ibanez sound is not that fat that I like and my Yamaha sound good but still far from that .but the reason I'm asking this is that I can't choose between buy a 5 or 4 strong.If I buy five string I rarely use the b string that much rare that in my career I touched my Yamaha b string 5 time .I enjoy 4 string because I can play aggrasaggr witgowi be worry about string space or the sound they may make by accidentally touch b
    So I'm stuck here that forsy do I need a bass or I need other thing ?
    If yes a five or four strings ?
    Fender 5er are too big for me so they are out plus sadly 35 inch basses .

Nunovsky, TinIndian and MCF like this.
  2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Yes

Dbass35, Axstar, tommyr01 and 4 others like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nice bass, nice price.
    Slightly trimmed down P bass body on these G&L Kilotons.
    This is the Tribute model...$500 or so compared to the USA models that go for $1,300 to $1,600 and up.
    9-C319-BB6-F6-F6-4743-8733-23-BBC8-B3-DBEB.

Flog, hardtop, Haroldo and 8 others like this.
  4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    This thread is a bummer, no poll

2 options needed in said poll:
    Yes and carrot

5. Yes. You always need a new bass. Always...:smug::roflmao::laugh:

6. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

There is no shortage of inexpensive P basses. Get one. :)

7. All signs point to 4 string p bass.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    No.

You have everything you need.

People waste tons of money on basses they never wind up using.

It's all in your fingers not the bass.

If you're not happy with what you have, you will never be happy.

You can use that money for something much more useful, or even donate it.

Learn to love the gear you have.

PSYCH!!!!!!! :) Did I getcha!??!?!?

Buy the bass!

YOLO.

9. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    The answer is always “yes”.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    This is Talkbass. we don’t give sage advice here. We’re an enablement club. The answer to “should I buy a new bass” is:

Buy two. And a backup.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Have you tried messing with the eq? I am not familiar with the Fender Rumble 100 bass amp but it may simply be your amps lack of versatility. I have several Ibanez Soundgear basses as well as other basses too. Both 4 and 5 string. The amps that I use are Gallien Krueger. I have both a combo amp, the GK MB-115 and a full size rig the GK NEO 410 cab paired with a GK MB Fusion 800 head. I can use any bass that I own on either of those amps and have plenty of tonal versatility. Now granted, depending on what I am wanting to do, I may need to adjust the eq but the amps do a great job of giving me just about any tone that I need from my basses.

12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    OP, check out the Fender Mustang PJ. Short scale. 1.5 jazz like neck. Nice Pbass sound. And Joe Nerve plays one!

13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    The answer is buy the bass, add tort if not already equipped, and try to get more carrot into your diet.

14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I've learned that if you don't love the bass you have, you should move on. This was an expensive learning experience for me.

Good Luck!

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This is actually good advice (even though it was set in a sarcastic post ) and what I have been trying to do for the last few years. I went through dozens of basses. Almost any of them could have been my main bass. You have decent gear. Just get the most out of it. TB is a strange place where people don’t really represent that majority of the real world.

Mr_Moo, dpaulb, cbnutt and 7 others like this.
  16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ON THIS FORUM ABOUT NEEDING NEW GEAR, YOU WILL END UP IN DEBT WITH MORE BASSES AND AMPS THAN YOU NEED...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

Mr_Moo, dpaulb, pcake and 8 others like this.
  17. Sure, it's always fun to buy another bass ... but I don't get why you think you can't get a P-Bass tone from the BB415. It's a PJ ... just turn off the bridge J pickup and it should do P-bass just as well as any other brand P-bass.

18. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Nope, i don't say there isn't better p than BB but they are more than enough in P sound. Don't let me tell about their amazing awsome unique PJ sound...drool
    But i understand us, we always need a new gear.:)

Mr_Moo and lowdownthump like this.
  19. This. Turning off the bridge pickup should *pretty much* get you there, and if it doesn't then there's probably something else at play that's not necessarily material (technique, EQ). Buying gear is almost never a magic solution: Personally I don't agree with the "Buy, buy, buy" advice, especially when it's directed at newer players.

You say you want a tone that's "Better than your Yamaha"...but better how? Can you describe what is leaving you unsatisfied? Is it just the 5-string aspect that you dislike?

Only advice I will offer at this point is to try to borrow or rent a 4-string P-bass (or whichever other bass you have your eyes on) for a short period of time, and play it through your amp, in the exact same conditions you normally play. Bring it to band rehearsal too. If the difference really is "night and day", then see if you can trade in or sell the Yamaha to get your new bass.

Mr_Moo, JRA, BDrums and 2 others like this.