1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I want an amp or a power amp? (B7K)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by makanudo, Oct 6, 2013.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I originally intended to go with a Gallien-Krueger rig paired with a Darkglass B3k pedal. Specifically a 700RB II head and a 2x12 or 4x10 neo cab, but since I ended up getting a B7K and runing it through the FX loop of my current amp (older Acoustic B100 combo), I started thinking it may be better to keep things simple and not mess with 4 bands of EQ on the B7K and the several tone shaping options on the amp.

Then I thought maybe a Hartke LH500. Simpler EQ, cheaper and powerful (I'm not playing arenas so I think the 500 watts will do).

But then I also thought, hey maybe the B7K paired with a good power amp and a nice cab could end up being a nice option, maybe even cheaper?

Anyway I have close to no knowledge about pre + power amp rigs and if this idea is any good, but hey, it's a forum and I got nothing to lose for asking.

What do you think guys, how would you go about this?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The B7k works as a D.I. so you just have to hook it up to a power amp and you are good to go, if you feel the B7k is enough I wouldn't worry about any other pre-amp and just get a power amp. If you want to flavour of an amp it is best to add one. I do not know what the used market is like on the Hartke LH500 but I would imagine there is a power amp out there that would be cheaper. I would also refrain from running your B7k in the FX loop, that is used for rack mount gear not stomp boxes.

3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Are you sure? I run the B7K through the FX loop to skip the combo's pre amp and get my sound from the pedal alone. Is this wrong in any way?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To clarify, the right way is to go
    bass --> B7K --> fx loop return jack

and the wrong way is
    bass --> amp --> loop send --> B7K --> loop return

Though the "wrong" way can work for some people/cases.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Also FWIW the very best power amp I've used so far for this type of application is actually a head! The GK MB500 or MB800 make excellent small, light, powerful, clean power amps when you bypass the pre.

6. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I guess I needed to be more specific then. I am running the B7K into the RETURN jack.

@bongomania well thats actually great to hear because I was looking into one of those heads before I got the B7K. Almost dead set to be honest, but thavinh a 4 band EQ on both the pedal and the head and an active 3 band on the bass seems like a bit overkill to me. It may offer a great deal of tone shaping capabilities though.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Right, so bypassing the pre takes one of those EQ's out of the picture. :)

8. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    I think this Head might be the answer to my struggle. Lol
    Im also thinking about using my B7K As a pre and buying a power amp. But if i can Skip this heads pre And use it as a power amp sitting at 4 pounts 500wats 4 ohms. Id much rather do that!