1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do ya wear it high, or sling it low...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Feb 18, 2008.

1. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I've seen players hold their bass at chest height, to almost dragging on the floor...where do you hold yours?

2. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    about waist height. both comfortable and cool :)

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Pretty high imo

IMG_3488.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I hold mine slightly below chestline...but barely above my belt or just over it. I keep it pretty high...not as high as Wooten but definitely not like Flea or punk/rock guys. I just can't play it efficiently when it is low...plus it isn't good for your fretting wrist.

I also like the way it looks to keep it higher! Those be my thoughts

5. David J.

David J.

Dec 1, 2006
    South Bend, In
    little on the high side

6. Alex000

Alex000

Jan 18, 2008
    Endorsing Artist (I back..): Sadowsky, Fender, Aguilar Amplification.
    I wear my more towards the higher side, the bottom of the body of my bass is just above my belt buckle. In my opinion, people who wear it low are morons (ehh?!) who wear it low to look cool..or fit the "image" more. Mostly I see it in rock. Wearing it high is "uncool." Too bad it's 10x easier to play with your bass higher (right around where it'd be if you were sitting down and playing). I'm hatin' on people who try to look cool right now :)

7. stiffman320

stiffman320

Nov 4, 2007
    I wear mine as low as possible without hitting my balls. That is especially important when i play slap. hahaha. Yeah....

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I teach my students to adjust their strap while sitting. If the bass just clears your leg, the bass will have the same "height" whether you stand or sit.

The advantage is that practicing sitting or standing and performance sitting (ugly!) or standing (yeah!) pretty much is the same ergonomically.

However, posture is a factor when sitting or standing, and obviously affects "height" in more ways than one! :p :p :p

9. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    To be honest...I don't even think it looks "cool" to wear it low. Do you think Paul from Jamiroquai wears it low...nope...and he is uber cool in my book.

10. Mine are set so bass's remain same height sitting or standing.

11. +1

12. I wear it Hoe? I like it Low enough it looks kew, but I play with the nexk Horz so it has to have some hight to it.

13. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    High otherwise I get excited

14. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    (spit-take)....that made my coworker lookup after my laugh...classic

15. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    Depends what i'm playing.
    [​IMG]
    somethimes it's way down there and some times it's about nipple high. depends how much i need the higher end of the neck

16. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    High, like Mark King or Victor Wooten.

and i'm 14, so most kids have theirs at their knees, so i get made fun of

too bad i'm better than 'em ;)

17. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    That's awesome. I don't think I've ever intentionally decided to hurt my playing by wearing my bass relatively low (compared to those who have the bottom of the bass above their beltline). I've always figured that people who wore their bass that high did so because they probably practiced more sitting down, so naturally, it'd be more comfortable for them to maintain that geometry while playing standing up.

Here's how my position looks:
    l_9d91c01baed7c2f91abb858d1f46d197.

If you happen to notice, none of my joints are at weird angles. I'm not using a pick. It also puts me in a great position to slap (plus switching from fingerstyle to slap instantly), as evident in this older pic (yes I know I look way different, but the bass is the same one that's in my avatar):

l_630e1b2686d350b78ac5d08c3527d183.

Here is my current band:
    www.myspace.com/hollowmass

and my previous band (where you can definitely hear my bass playing):
    www.myspace.com/killradius1

So I'm a moron? It seems to me like you're making a broad stereotypical miscalculation. I'd love to see you back up your words.

18. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    High. No neck dive because there's no lateral inertia or lack of body contact. Some people forget that with slinging it low you have to control it's movement as well because it moves the center of gravity. To each their own.

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would say medium.

I just noticed I always have my bass off to the side though. Style of music or bass doesn't seem to matter. Never noticed that....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's right about where mine sits.