1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you go both ways?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BCRichguy, Oct 18, 2018.

1. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Ok, so what I want to know is how many other bass players here also play the guitar to any extent? I have recently started playing the guitar in addition to the bass ( to my wifes complete horror, lol) and have found that it definately has had a positive impact on my bass technique/thought process in general..and a negative impact on my wallet (two guitars three pedals and another amp later)! Just wondering if anyone else is in the same shoes?

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes. Quite a few of us dabble in the Dark Arts.

3. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I started out playing guitar in high school back in the late 70s. It wasn't until my son started playing guitar in the early-mid 2000s that I decided to take up the bass.

Although I'd pretty much pushed the six-stringer to the side for the past 15 years, a couple months ago I started playing my acoustic guitar again.

Despite having roughly a 25 year advantage on guitar, nowadays I consider myself a bassist first, a guitarist second.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. I became a bassist as a recovering drummer, and now also play guitar for my own enjoyment.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

guitar? :laugh:

seriously: playing the music is the path and the joy = any way you can do makes you more human! good luck! :thumbsup:

saabfender likes this.
  6. I too have always loved six string guitar, but never could change chords quickly enough to play a song properly, so I never pursued it as I should have.

I was at a party in June, and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," by Pink Floyd came on the radio, and right then I said to myself, I'm going to learn guitar correctly this time, and that's that! I will succeed!

I already had a G&L ASAT Tribute Telecaster, but wanted a more traditional Tele sound, so I looked around, and bought a Michael Kelly Telecaster. It sounds much more like a Fender Telecaster. Some of you might remember a thread I started recently, Blues Guitar Talk? I learned a lot from it.

I'm sticking to guitar, and am making slow and steady progress. I can play the intro to, "Hot Rod Lincoln" almost as fast as the record. Chords are coming along too.

Once I make up my mind, I am a musical Genghis Khan! You ain't stopping me! :eek: :D

I am happy.

Photos below. If you get a chance, check out some Michael Kelly stuff. The Tele I bought is equal to the Fender American stuff in my opinion.
    IMGP5071.jpg

IMGP5743.jpg
    Mike :thumbsup:

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    woodyng2, GregC, Jimmy4string and 3 others like this.
  8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Drums are my primary instrument, I've been a working drummer for over forty years. I always dabbled in bass just a little, Roots, 5ths and octaves. Just over ten years ago I decided that I wanted to be a "real" bassist, then I had a stroke. My bass dream got pushed back a couple of years. It took me a bit to recover, drumming was part of my rehab. I branched out into hand percussion while I was working through my recovery. My real bassist journey started about eight years ago. I've worked hard to become an adequate bassist and these days my business card says Drummer/Percussionist/Bassist.

I've always had a couple of guitars in my rehearsal room. It used to be Peavey electric guitars and Epiphone acoustics. I could strum chords and play basic rock songs, but I never called myself a guitarist. I was good with that. The primary reason that I kept guitars and amps in the rehearsal room was for if my guitarist brother, guitarist nephew or a guitarist friend stopped by, we could jam. Then I started to use my room for more actual rehearsals with various bands that I work with. A couple of years back through flipping gear I picked up an American Special Telecaster and an American Standard Stratocaster. By this point, the guitarist didn't have to bring anything except effects unless they wanted to.

Last year I finally decided to get serious about guitar. I joined "Fender Play", their online lesson program and it's pretty good. I upgraded my acoustic to a cheap Martin and continued to wheel and deal flipping and upgrading guitars. Now I have five American Fenders, two Stratocasters and three Telecasters. I work as a drummer/Percussionist/Bassist, but if I'm jamming with friends and family I'm likely to reach for a guitar.

My playing is coming along. In a year or two I'd like to add "Guitarist" to that business card. ;)

Of course playing keyboards proficiently will be my next hurdle... :D

Here is a photo of my favorite of my guitars, a Fender American Elite Telecaster Thinline.

View attachment 3223024

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Mr_Moo, 4stringsjack and mikewalker like this.
  10. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have a bunch of “vintage” Ibanez basses, now I have a guitar from the period as well, and a tube amp, and a shredder... enough for a while I think.

I am really enjoying the long and tedious process of learning to play. ;)

45047149102_130bb26e7f.jpg

8426994165_5505c38893.jpg

Jimmy4string and mikewalker like this.
  11. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    This has been a popular question today! Yes, I play guitar and bass. My time on each fluctuates, but I do consider myself a bass player before anything else. I have two Basses and two Guitars in the arsenal.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  12. Not well, not often, but I could probably fake my way through a short, basic rhythm set with a little practice.

13. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    At the risk of heresy, I think the guitar is more fun to sit and play solo.

Scott C. and Groove Doctor like this.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I play guitar (electric, acoustic and resonator), bass, upright bass, keys and just started learning harmonica.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I can know a single chord on guitar. Does that count?

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Techincally yes, I can play guitar. I did so as my primary instrument in the 80s. Now, I own one acoustic - that doesn't get much use (my bass fingers are too big to work on those little strings).

MrLenny1 likes this.
  18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I play bass, brass horns, flutes, keyboards and all kinds of percussion. Guitars creep me out. In someone else's hands, they're fine.

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play both kinds:

Fretted bass guitar and....
    Fretless bass guitar

Any notes higher than that are someone else's responsibility.

Reg Braithwaite and Fight4Bottom like this.
  20. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Sort of did it the opposite way.

Have played guitar since I was 10. Played in a few bands and did well enough go pay some bills. Did some guitar work in a few commercial studios on guitar. Filled the bill well enough to get some call backs.

Eventually, was called to sub on bass for some friends a few times on gigs, but I'm sure I was last on the call list and they were desperate.

Pretty sure I sucked...........No, I'm sure I sucked, but did manage to muddle through.

Started getting the occasional studio/jingle call for guitar.

Joined a band on the side to fill the bass position. Figured the best way to improve my playing. Seemed to work. My bass player recommended me because " he doesn't sound like a guitar player that now plays bass". I take that as a big compliment, compared to her, I still suck, but I sound capable.

One day, did a bass part at the studio for someone who didn't show. That was decades ago and I've done a few more.

The band I played bass in was where I met my First Wife.

I still consider myself more of a guitar player, but I'm at least a decent bass player. I have however, learned a lot from reading things on TalkBass. Examples: I never knew about bass mutes for the first 20 years I played, other than compression, the only effect I had then was a modified MXR Chorus, the total cost of my first rig bought used in the the mid-80's was maybe $350? It was an Acoustic 360/370 with a graphic EQ, an Ampeg folded horn 2 x 15" cab.

Far too much stuff now, but only 5 basses.

Still have my first rig, though I occasionally run my bass through my HiWatts but I cringe going for certain notes.

Still have my First Wife too, she encourages my music.

Now IF I can just get my independent two hand keyboard technique better to play my Hammond C3, have the bass pedal thing down though?

So basically I suck less, but I'm no Jaco.

Versatek6 likes this.
  21. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Yes. My first guitar has deep ruts in the fingerboard from my high school era practicing, which was at minimum 2 hours daily, and as much as 6 hours on weekends. I played guitar in jazz band, and never stopped when I became a voice and theory major in college.

I bought my first bass for accompanying my Tascam projects in the 90's, when a CD-R drive was $500+. It was a black Applause ABG. Good times. Wish I'd kept it, but I still have the P/J that replaced it in '96.

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020