Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have a dedicated audio pc?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jan 20, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm toying with the idea of building another pc just for audio. All these samples are eating my ram and HD space alive. If you're running a seperate computer, what kind of setup do you have? What kind of processor, ram, soundcard, etc.

2. Hi, Jason, we have an AMD dual anthlong 1800+ with two 80 gig WD hard drives, 1 gig of Ram and Frontier Dakota Sound Card.

We run Cubase VST 5.1 it’s a kinda old program but it works just fine!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I use my everyday computer for recording, but I boot into a separate partition with Win 98SE on it. There are no services, devices or programs enabled on that partition that aren't directly needed for audio processing. I record the base tracks (drums plus a rhythm instrument) in Wavelab, to a Gadget Labs Wave/496 card. I'm only using Win 98 because of a quirk in the GL Win98 drivers that allow a lower noise floor than the XP drivers do.

I dub tracks later in either N-track or Samplitude, and mix down in one of those as well. The system's an Athlon XP 2000+, Asus A7V motherboard, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80 GB hard drives. I keep the recording partition on the second hard drive totally clean, formatting it before every session. I use lots of noise killing stuff in the case too. I've been pondering going back to my Athlon 750 box for the base tracks, since it's virtually silent, and handles 24/96 recording in stereo flawlessly.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just use a seperate HD to save audio, and another as a scratch disk. With today's machines and OS stability, two computers are not needed.

edit: OS's winxp and linux.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    for years now, i have had a dual boot system (win 98 and Linux). i have been wanting to use Linux for my banking, spreadsheet, internet and fun stuff, but i can't even get the CD rom to open. Linux seems cool, but not very user friendly.

now a days, i'm using cakewalk 9 on my win sys along with internet exploder for the internet. that's all i really use it for.

one day i would like to get a dedicated system, but that's not in my budget for at least the first three 1/4's of this year.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have a Quicksilver G4 800, loaded with Ram, in my music room. My everyday machine is a 1.25GHz iMac with 20" display. Both have yet to have their first crash, and the Quicksilver's a couple of years old. :)

7. primesuspect

primesuspect

Feb 11, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I build dedicated audio and video computers for hobbyists and professionals. I always recommend a dedicated workstation for anyone who is going to be recording on their computer - even if it's at the hobbyist/amateur level.

I just wanted to put that out there so that if anybody needs any advice, feel free to use and abuse me. :meh: ;)

8. P 4. 1.8 I think, running at 2.4 gHz.
    ASUS 533 somethingorother motherboard.
    256 megs of RAM.
    Matrox Dual head Vid card.
    18 gig, 7200 rpm main drive.
    9.1 gig, 10,000 rpm SCSI audio drive
    18 gig, 10, 000 rpm backup drive x 2.
    Soundscape Mixtreme soundcard.
    Big a** case.
    No fans.

Does the job. Plus I built it so it's rock solid.

9. Err, no fans with a P4 1.8? Is it liquid cooled or something? Or did you mean no case fans (in which case your computer will still be running too hot)?

10. Yer right...I meant there are no fans on the processors, just the one in the power supply. Only a heatsink on the processors, no liquid at all.

The case is big enough to not be a heat trap I guess...I was pretty surprised myself when it actually worked.

11. Amen. Having used both platforms extensively, I now have a Mac dedicated to nothing but audio/video. I'm not religious about either, so let's not get into a PC/Mac war :p

12. You're asking for a meltdown, my friend. P4's run very hot, especially once you get them doing intensive tasks like sound compression, etc. If you want to hold on to your computer for any significant amount of time, for god's sake, at least use the default heat-sinks and fans that come with the CPU. Believe me, there are much safer ways to get your computer quiet.

For the DIYers, here are some good articles containing tips and component advice that can make you computer more quiet:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1099/
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips1064/

And here's an older article for quieting your sound studio overall, including the computer:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan00/articles/noise.htm

If you don't want to dig into your computer and get the components yourself, there are some places on that web that specialize in selling complete PC's built to be quiet.