1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you have the one that could be, your ONLY one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass2, May 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    In my case, it's my very early USA Lakland Glaub. I could have no other basses ever again, and be happy, AND covered as far as what I need a bass to do.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. Any of my current four could be my only one and I’d be fine with it, but either of my fretless fours would serve especially well. I did one twenty year stint only owning one bass and never felt a hint of GAS, no reason I couldn’t do that again.

3. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Yamaha BBP34

4. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The limitations of my MTD 635 are solely due to the user (photo is enhanced)

IMG_20200915_200609_775.jpg

5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't like having to think about that possibility... and I only own three. I did, however, get along just fine with a lone 4-string G&L L-2000. About a year or so, I think. A true workhorse.

6. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    What is the top wood on that? it kinda weirds me out.

7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If you're an MFD fan and know how to use 'em, you need nothing else.

halcyo and Rich Thomas like this.
  8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yep. Roscoe LG3000.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 9:31 PM
    herndonbassist likes this.
  9. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I did really well, just fine with my Mike Lull M5V as my only bass for 2 years. Well, that and a fretless bass. And honestly, that could continue from now on.

But a new gig where I need to set up a bass to be tuned down 1/2 step was as good a reason as any to buy a new bass. Even though my M5V tuned down for the first show, did just fine, and tuned back up the next day for another gig. No adjustments necessary!

So what? I still have a new bass coming, good reason or not. I will post a NBD with pics when it arrives. Hopefully by the end of this week!

the harp unstrung and Qlanq like this.
  10. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Nope.

11. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    I got along just fine with a G&L El Toro from 1983 to 2020 just fine. It's a great bass. I would be happy with that or my new Strandberg Original 5. My Fender J Bass may get converted to fretless at some point over the next several months.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm finding there is not much that can't be covered with my active P/J with a passive tone control.

Lukasonbass and Ryno1330 like this.
  13. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    I definitely agree.
    1 passive Jazz, 1 passive Precision, 1 active 5 are must haves.

Although, I must confess this 2012 Am Std Jazz has recently stolen my heart ;)

IMG_7542.jpeg

Clark W and MynameisMe like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Just 1?

Or Just 1 More?

15. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yep.

If I had to I could play the old molested and modded Gibby in my avatar for the rest of my days and be perfectly happy with that state of affairs.

16. I have one that I love, and then I have another one that I love. The difference between them (well, one difference) is the number of strings.

My #1 has four strings. I can't imagine it not being my #1 but if a fiver ever came along that I felt as comfortable with and sounded as good, I could be tempted. But right now I have two primary tools for different kinds of shows (plus a bunch of others) and I'm happy with that. It would be very hard to supplant my #1.

17. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I was that way my US L2500---was a toss-up between that and my Glaub.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I had to think about this.

Honestly, I'm fine with any bass that has decent action and a pickup that works well.

Outside of that, so long as money isn't an issue my answer would have to be, no. I don't want any bass to be my one and only. I see no reason for it.

19. This one, the Skjoldslayer, is as close as it gets, but I still find myself reaching for the P Bass now and again.

808B0C4D-3C98-41D8-B6F8-2B7A763AD41F.jpeg

20. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Redwood burl. I enhanced the image to make the pattern pop. It's more subtle in person.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021