1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you have the one that could be, your ONLY one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass2, May 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM.

1. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Honestly, I can do with any of my basses. That raises the question of justifying the others which I don't want to dive into.. :) :bassist:

christle and pbass2 like this.
  2. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Ah, the once a month TB question. My monthly answer:

Yes.

nonohmic and Lukasonbass like this.
  3. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, G&L M2500

nonohmic likes this.
  4. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    I have a 90's MIJ JBass (the infamous "squier series" Fenders with one-ply pickguard and strat knobs) that has been my only one a few times in my career. I guess I could get rid of the others and string the JBass with mellow rounds and cover most of everything that way. It's so nice to play, and sounds so good, ugly as it is.

5. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    This is doooooope!
    Must look absolutely stunning on stage

MYLOWFREQ and N4860 like this.
  6. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    02582C08-397E-4F9C-BE9D-CE06E4269665.jpeg I’m surprised by the lack of love for MusicMan here, I have a hard time playing anything besides my special now. It rules in the studio (pretty convincing p with flats and nails the jazz tone), live it looks incredible, sounds great, and it’s easy on the shoulder.

Lots of amazing basses and rigs here though! The best choice is all personal preference anyways, way too many variables for one bass to rule them all.

lofat, KaraQ, lowdownthump and 2 others like this.
  7. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    i just sold mine (I need that low B) but these are absolutely amazing and total workhorses.

8. Yes..”could” be.

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I typically play one bass, even though I have more than one, so yes. What I'll never have is a "forever" bass because my tastes keep changing.

MegaSwing likes this.
  10. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to play it on a stage yet due to Covid but I expect that you are right. Yours must also look nice under the lights. Nothing quite like the Music Man sparkle finishes.

Lukasonbass likes this.
  11. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Ah the question that showed up every week or so. Yes I have my one bass that I could use as my only bass. 2004 Warwick Corvette Short Scale

Attached Files:

BBassBassington likes this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My #1 is still my #1 but time and life have forced me to move to a 30” scale and completely relearn my left hand after being forced to accept I can no longer cover four frets with four fingers on my 34” #1. I can play simple stuff but my little finger on my left hand can hold down a string or stretch away from the rest of my fingers, but it can no longer do both things at once. Fortunately it does not have to do both to work on a 30” scale, but i’m learning to no longer assume the same will be true down the road so I’m adapting to only using three fingers on my left hand.
    i’ll keep my #1 and will continue to work on my left hand, and if I ever get to where i can play well enough that way, i’ll go back to my 34” bass, but for now i’m a 30” scale guy whenever i’m called to play.

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Finish and couch pose combo reminded me or your, that's all

14. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I recently bought a friend's 63 Precision that he's owned the whole time I've known him (45+ years). I have other basses, but this may be the only one I play from now on.

15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    :roflmao: *derp* -- your fine staging, wasted on me! Thanks for the much-needed chuckle!

JimB52 likes this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Proudly owned one in my young adult years. Stupidly jettisoned because young adult.

17. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Gorgeous! Stop by the club:
    J Neck P Bass Club
    :D

18. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I indeed do. My 1963 birth year Precision Bass. 742A1630-BD3C-4B27-9EA9-33790C0F9CE7.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. Of the 6 basses I own, the one that I would have to pick to be my only one would be a parts Jazz bass that I put together with some nice parts like a beefy stable neck, Kluson high mass bridge, Custom Shop 60's pickups. Sounds and looks amazing.

20. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    Sandberg California TM5 SL is my only Bass and it's difficult to justify really needing anything else, I've owned 5 basses (including Fender, Dingwall, Ibanez) and this one is the best at doing everything well. It's versatile with the J/MM pickups (and the MM humbucker can be switched to single coil), active/passive, low action and good balanced tones across the strings, it's comfortable and enjoyable to play and very light too. It can do a good Motown Thump, heavy Reggae Bass, decent slap/pop, and good output and sustain for using distortion/fuzz pedals. The only thing I think it's missing is an active Mid EQ control.

.......saying that though, I am going to make it more specifically set up for Reggae/Dub with Flatwounds and a higher action so I expect I'll then be tempted to get a 4 string with low action and light & bright Roundwound strings for Funk/Slap.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021