1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Keep a Guitar in Your House for Visitors?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Yes

153 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Even if you don’t play, do you have a guitar in case a friend drops over and a spontaneous jam breaks out?

I have one just kind of hanging around in my living room. When my buddies are over watching the game or listening to music. It's just there to be picked up and noodled on. "Hey man, check out this riff I've been working on."

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    EWH, taught, Ellery and 1 other person like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I have no friends...

fretter, zenandzen, evlwevl and 47 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    My friends are not musicians.:laugh:

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    While I voted yes, I keep several guitars in my house for myself :p

fretter, zenandzen, EWH and 21 others like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No, just a cable....

sure.

Note, please, that it's grounded - for safety!!! :woot:

6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I had everything setup at my old house in the basement. My band practiced there so at any given time, friends could come over and have a jam session. It was great. Lost my house in my divorce, so I’m in the process of rebuilding. I may just set up my living room like that now, seeing how I won’t have a wife to tell me otherwise.

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have a guitar hanging on the wall. I keep it because my dad bought it for me when I was 12.
    I don't associate with guitar players.:laugh:

8. I have several guitars and basses that guests can use.....as long as they're left handed. :D

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unintentionally. I have a pretty sweet Martin that sits in the case in a closet. Generally, it gets pulled out when a real guitar player happened to be there.

10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    That should be sitting in a stand begging to be picked up.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I admit it's a pretty sad existence for a guitar in my house.

eJake, jackn1202, dan1952 and 2 others like this.
  12. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I voted no.

I do have guitars in the house, and friends have played them, but that's not why they are in the house... I still have a lot of difficulty composing on the bass, so when I'm writing I typically will have a guitar in hand. Occasionally I like to sit at the piano as well, but I can't really play that thing proficiently, so it's mostly for appearances...and the occasional punctuation noise of forehead slamming on keys in frustration...

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    They can play my cello.

TolerancEJ, taught, jackn1202 and 5 others like this.
  14. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    same here.

zenandzen, dan1952 and Oddly like this.
  15. My visitors think my Basses are guitars.

16. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Big yes from me. I can't play guitar, but I still have a Strat, LP, and an acoustic (along with a guitar pedal board, and several guitar amps). I got a band, but the guitar players bring their own--mine might get played with twice a year each by me. So yeah, the guitars (and keyboard, drums, mics, and PA) are pretty much there for when someone else comes over to "jam"... :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Technically I have an acoustic guitar in one of my bedrooms that I'd let friends use, but guitarists I
    d want to play with are pretty particular. I do have a drum kit and a guitar amp and PA for use by other as needed.

dan1952 likes this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I cannot play guitar at all -- I've simply never been interested in it enough to take a lesson or even really try to learn. Someday I am sure that the time will come. In the meantime, I have a nice acoustic that someone gave me as a repair project and I bought a cool electric a while back at a yardsale, which needs to be rebuilt before anyone could possibly play it. They are both hanging as art on my walls because they are not basses.

dan1952 likes this.
  19. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No. They can watch me play one of my basses though!

instrumentalist and dan1952 like this.
  20. pasmithy

pasmithy

Jul 7, 2011
    SE PA
    I've had a "cheaper" guitar in the house for a long time. I have some friends and relatives that play, and spontaneous jams and singalongs have broken out over the years...

About 3 years ago I started to play a bit of guitar. Now everyone's looking for my personal guitars when they come over! I can't blame them, I like playing nice, well setup instruments too. Haven't seen that "ole cheapo" in while. I might even have given it away...LOL

dan1952 and 48thStreetCustom like this.