Do you prefer rear ported, front ported cabs or sealed bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, May 3, 2019.

1. Rear Ported

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Front Ported

55 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Sealed

42 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Don't care...

27 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. I'm sure that this has been asked here before, but I'm curious what type of cabs people here on Talkbass prefer - Rear Ported, Front Ported or Sealed cabs - and why??

Thanks for your input!

2. I've pretty much always played through front ported cabs (usually 4x10's), but I recently got a pair of Markbass Marcus 102 rear ported cabs to lighten the load of my bass rig. I always liked my front ported cabs, but so far I'm really pleased with the Marcus 102 rear ported cabs. I haven't had a chance to gig with the Marcus cabs yet because my old band is just starting back up again after a long hiatus. I'm kinda worried there may be some stage set ups where my sound may be hindered by rear ported cabs. That's kind of the reason that I started this thread. Thanks to everyone who participates in this poll thread. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

3. I like and what I have owned are Front Ported, also cabs that I do not like and will never own are also Front Ported.
    It is the total package more than the hole.

Basspikr, wave rider, Rezdog and 8 others like this.
  4. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Non-expert opinion, I'd just not put the back right up against a wall. :)

Pedulla-Player likes this.
  5. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    It makes no difference to me. A good cab is a good cab regardless. I own both front (GK and Genz Benz) and rear ported (TC Electronic) and have never had any issues even when playing outdoors with either.

Munjibunga and Pedulla-Player like this.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My latest DIY cab is side-ported. ;)

I have a rationale: The port is parallel to the longest dimension of the box, allowing it to be as large as possible to minimize turbulence.

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I dunno, isn't this a bit like whether I like my beef fried, grilled or roasted? It's all dependant on the rest of the recipe?

8. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I’m in the, “If it sounds good, it sounds good” crowd.

9. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I've always liked sealed. I've had both...I like my note now. A ported with tube sag is a little much for me. So...AG700 and a Berg NV610. I just bought a Hartke HD210 for smaller stuff which is sealed too.

But I do think that rush of air you feel with ported cabs is pretty cool

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I've owned about a dozen cabinets - and I've never given the direction of the ports much thought. One cab was sealed, one had the port on the bottom (or the side, depending on the orientation) and the rest were front ported. I like the rush of air when you push them hard. Feels like a waste to blow that against the back wall.

Pedulla-Player and mikewalker like this.
  11. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Back wall becomes a factor for me. Some stages are boomy, and usually the rear port becomes more of a factor for me on those stages.
    Obviously careful placement is your friend.

Aside from that, I don't really care as a rule.

howlin, Pedulla-Player and D.A.R.K. like this.
  12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Didnt vote since there is no "who cares" option.

As long as it sounds good, who cares how it is designed?

I've heard great cabs with all designs

thetragichero, 74hc and Socobass like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depends on the cab and the context its going to be used in.

I’ve played through all three types of cab and there were many times when I liked what I was hearing regardless of which type of cab it was. But that’s not the same thing as saying I liked every cab I ever played through.

I tend to have better luck with front ported cabs for what I do and how I play. But that’s just me. I wouldn’t try to read anything into it other than that.

Pedulla-Player and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You forgot to add option 4: Carrots!

I don't much care whether it's sealed, shelf ported, round ported in the front, of ported in the back. It totally depends on how the thing sounds. They each have different design parameters and a skilled designer can make any of them sound good. I've used all three types.

Personally I currently used a front shelf ported 410 cab now and as that old Hammer song sings, "Can't Touch This!". By far and away it's the best cabinet I've ever used or even heard, and loud enough that I'll never need to take an 810 with me.

Here's my DNS-410 by DNA:
    413809230.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Pedulla-Player and Wisebass like this.
  15. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Sealed, ofcourse.

16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Been playing sealed cabs primarily for the last few years, to avoid over excursion that can happen with ported designs when doing stuff like looping and dropping things an octave (half speed). Having some ported cabs built, to get the low end extension I'm missing but maintain power handling. Always have preferred front ported to avoid the barrier effect when setting up next to walls.

17. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I don't like the rear ports because it tends to throw out the boom without me noticing it. Kinda sends it bouncing around the back walls. Front ports mask a lot of the mids that I need to hear myself on stage. Therefore, I prefer sealed. The sound is the sound. Tight, loud, and clear.

18. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I prefer a hybrid from Barefaced.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I've owned all three and still can't hear a noticeable difference.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Couldn't care less as long as I get what I want out of it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021