1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you really like Moog?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nabby, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Nabby

Nabby

Jan 21, 2009
    As I was reading the "Do you actually like EHX?" thread...it had me thinking. Do you all actually like Moog or do you just respect them for their uniqueness? In my opinion/experience, they make some of the coolest effects out there, but ,other than the LPF, in a band setting they can usually only be used in pretty specific settings, unless you base the entire song around the bass (Not that there's anything wrong with that :D ).

Discuss

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I love Moog except that I can't afford any of them. I want a Bass MuRF so bad.....I could really put that to use in one of my projects.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the moogerfoogers are excellent rack modular synth components. they double as stompboxes, but aren't really designed as such (at least that's their excuse of the absurdly noisy bypass on otherwise excellent boxes).

they're not for everybody, but if you want full-featured bass as modular synth, a set of several is probably the best way to go. just be sure to get a multilooper :p

As a company, Moog is not the most reliable. I gotta say it. Example: I registered a product with them and they logged my registration more than six months later. MORE THAN SIX MONTHS

I told the guy who handled that stuff and he was pretty embarrassed

great stuff, but would I pay them, say, a deposit on a new taurus? uh, no.

4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    What's not to love? Even got wooden sides! :p

Awesome. Analog. Unique.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i don't like their moogerfoogers (which are acutally made by big briar) but i LOVE their synths (voyager, little phatty, prodigy, rogue, source).

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What's with all the "do you Like" threads?

Yes I like moog. I have the Moogerfooger LPF and phase, I plan on getting the ring mod some day as well as the CP-251 some day. As for their short comings RCCollins said what there is to say.

7. I owned the freqbox and failed to see the usefulness at the time. Now I deeply regret selling that off, as it would be so useful for my current project. I have the Bass MURF, and it is a fantastic box. I am working on an electronic / ambient project, for which it is extremely useful. You can also set it to do a cool phasery sound, not just choppy arpeggios.

I GAS for a Little Phatty so hard.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The start of a gassy road eh:meh:

Little Phatty's are so cool, I also really gas for a Voyager Rack Mount Edition and a midi pickup..................... Well I'm still going to get a midi pickup no matter what synth and or software I end up with:help:

9. i love but cannnot afford the analog delay.

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Too big, Too expensive, and too noisey.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I certainly regret selling my Little Phatty. Now I have to buy another one. Well, not right now.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    same size as old school ehx pedals and not really THAT much more expensive (except for the delay)

the bypass is also at least as bad as big old ehx pedals(which I also like)

13. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    my ring mod had a really good bypass
    but i sold it... cuz it was a ring mod

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    and now you're looking for a heliotrope? think twice if you hate ring mods. honestly.

The moogerfooger is the best ring mod I've personally used. If you learn how to use it, it's MUCH more practical and useable than anything that's currently on the market

it can do an amazing off-kilter, irregular tremolo effect with only minor ring mod popping, for example.

and if it didn't pop, it wouldn't be a ring mod. kind of like a dog without fleas

15. Prataz

Prataz

Mar 28, 2005
    Is it possible for a Mooger Fooger to be totally noiseless?

I bought a Voodlab Power Plus 2 just to power it up but there's still noise

Would it be possible to modify it to true bypass or something to cut out the noise?

16. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Gonna rant a little bit here.

Everyone complains so much about the bypass on moogs.

That's your own damn fault, learn to set it right. They work perfectly if you use it right (the single knob bypass on the 101 and 102 is not as easy as mf-103-107, but they are all perfectly capable of getting a good bypass signal).

I own the entire moog product line (minus the ring mod), I have no problems with any of the pedals. And I really don't mess around when it comes to my bass tone, amp, effects, anything....part of the reason I went all Moog, they were the best I found, and nothing sounds quite like them. Also using the bypass on the LPF improperly turns out to be one of the best sounding natural overdrive's I've ever played with (think outside the box).

So in answer to the question of the OP... Yes, not only do I like moog, I love them.

17. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Use the L5 and L6 outputs with the white tipped (reverse polarity) jacks.

No noise. I power my Frebox and Delay this way with no problems at all.

18. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Ive never had a chance to try any of their stuff. But they have an awesome name.

19. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    big briar was the name of his company when bob moog didnĀ“t have the right to use the name moog on his products...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Briar

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My personal complaint has more to do with how the bypassed moogers effect and are effected by other pedals in the signal chain, this is sometimes a good thing such as with a guyatone TF-2 the bypassed moog's pre makes that pedal's lows really come out and makes it just sound better, on the other hand having it in between a fuzz with BIG LOWS like a BMP of a DE Cherry Pop and a comp BAD things happen. Actually I am pretty sure my Mooger LPF and my Compulator HATE each other!