1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you recognize this adhesive used under end pin?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by UpperBout, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

32141076362_2f35640091_c.

So I was swapping Schaller's for Dunlop Dual Design. The Schallers were coming loose.

Discovered a bit of a mess under the lower strap pin. I don't recognize this adhesive. It's still kind of flexible. I think someone must have patched (temporarily) the end pin with something. I've picked away a bit of the excess, but I don't want to create a problem that leaves the strap button in this bass unusable. (Got a gig tomorrow)

I'm also thinking the only way to properly repair this is to plug with a dowel in matching wood.

So I have these questions:
    • Anyone recognize what adhesive this is?
    • Anyone know where to source a small purpleheart dowel or plug?
    I'm going to temporarily reinstall the existing strap pins because I have a gig tomorrow.

For the record, here's the other strap pin. It's actually the looser the two:
    31480229663_410d17d801_c.

Last Rebel likes this.
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Ugh. Yeah, that looks like some kind sealant-type glue. If it's rubbery, get it all out of there.

Yes, the right way to fix that is to drill it out and glue in a nice-fitting hardwood plug. Then re-drill the pilot hole properly and maybe use a longer screw.

I don't know anywhere that sells pre-made purpleheart dowels. I can make you one, if you like. I have a lathe set up specifically to machine custom-size plugs and dowels from wood, and I have plenty of scraps of purpleheart. You can reach me by PM here on TB.

mongo2 likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the top one you can fix just fine with a toothpick thickly slathered in wood glue, screwing the pin back in while it's still wet.

that bottom one is a disaster, like bruce says whatever that gummy crap is in there has to come out.

i'd shove the toothpicks in there so that it holds tightly enough to get through your gig, but afterwards yeah, that's gonna need some drilling and cross-grain plugging.

4. UpperBout

Yup. That's exactly what I just did

I'm baffled why whoever did this didn't just fix it the usual way. Whatever they used was probably more work than standard materials. :banghead:

And I definitely plan to fix it properly when I have some down-time. Bruce, I may well take you up on your kind offer, once I have a chance to take proper measurements.

5. Woodcraft has purpleheart pen blanks. They should be pretty cheap and one could be made into a dowel or use a plug cutter. There must be one in or near Chicago. Or, have Bruce make you one as long as your temp repair holds long enough to get it shipped to you.

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    My first guess was "Crest toothpaste?" But, I bow - as usual - to Bruce's superior knowledge...:thumbsup:

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Looks like a urethane glue.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Reminds of me painters' caulk. There's one brand / type in particular that goes on blue and turns white once cured.

Riis

9. UpperBout

My guitarist thinks it might that epoxy tape.

10. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Wintergreen gum

11. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Looks like mighty-putty.