Do you smack your hand while slapping?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I've noticed that i dont use a floating hand when i'm slapping..

everytime i slap i also move my whole hand smacking the body, is this bad? I've tried playing with a floating hand but it isn't comfortable and i get way more power without it...
  2. My hand doesn't hit it, but my fingertips do. I don't know if you have a good technique but as long as it doesn't bother you or cause a discomfort, I don't think you're doing it wrong.
  3. At first when I was slapping my pinky knuckle would get smacked into the bass whenever I'd slap the highest string... but now it doesn't anymore.

How are you able to slap without playing with the floating hand?
  4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm having a hard time seeing how any part of your hand is hitting anything other than your thumb hitting the string. I don't know of any incarnation of the "slap" technique that involves SLAPPING the bass.

Maybe a picture is in order?
  5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    hm, i started out with my pinky always touching the body, both when slapping and popping. i've since switched to a more floating approach. i don't think there#s any "right" school, though, as long as you can execute the things you want - *in an efficient manner.

i've also heard/seen that alain caron, a super clean slapper (including double-thumbing) and generally fantastic player with great technique also keeps his pinky in contact with the bass' body while slapping. probably keeps the wrist(hand motion under control.
  6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Yeah, my fingertips are hitting the fretboard, not my hand because it's over the strings..
  7. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    So you literally slap the strings with your finger and not your thumb? How do you quickly go from slapping to popping?
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My hand floats, but my finger tips hit the pickguard between slaps (as my thumb goes back up), allowing them to be in good position for a pop. This is when I'm slapping the A-string and popping the G on 4-string. When I pop the D, my fingertips move up, obviously.

Not sure if that's right, but that's how I've always done it.
  9. LOL. Off topic a little. I was on the home page and this thread title said, "Do you smack your..." I thought it was gonna say "kids". I was like :confused: :eek: . Sorry, just thought I'd share that. Back to the topic at hand.
  10. How do your fingers get past the strings to hit the fretboard? Maybe you should slap a little closer to the pickups if you're hitting the fretboard.
  11. Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    I slap, but I'm no terminology master, what do you mean when you say floating?
  12. Floating basically means that your hand is "floating" and has no contact with the bass other than the thumb when you hit the string. Your arm or hand doesn't rest on the bass.
  13. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Floating hand? yes, personally, I can't touch my bass while slapping, becouse I am slapping strings quite from distance (approx. 10cm), but sometimes, in some silent slap parts, I rest my pinky on body of bass...
  14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Perhaps some of the confusion here may me due to the parties involved having different approches to slapping. Are you talking about overhand (fingers pointed toward the floor) or underhand(fingers pointed up the neck)?? State your positions gentlemen!!
  15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    OH, i think i messed yp my lat post..

i hit the body of my bass with my fingertips not the fretboard, anf i have no problem slapping/plcukking E to D and A to G.
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Perhaps you need to use your wrist more?
  17. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Ehh, i only use my wrist?

So when you guys slap, you slap the way victor wooten has his hand while double thumping?
    I've tried playing with a total floating hand but i loose power andi cant play fast at all and it turns out sloppy..
  18. OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    i slap overhand, and when i slap i keep almost my entire arm on my bass. i find it gives me great accuracy. ive only been slapping for about a month, but i can slap pretty well. when i slap, i keep my middle finger outstretched, ready to pop, so i always hits the body. it doesnt bother me though, i have no feeling in that finger, lol.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I actually give myself a high five while playing slap.
  20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I think i got the proper technique now!

I have my hand "squeezed" but only my thumb and index finger is, ehh, "pointing" out ?