Do you take vitamins?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I like popping pills. :) Throughout most of my life I've taken vitamins on and off. I go through periods where I'll take just a one-a-day type, and periods where I'll take 20 pills a day. Aside from the fact that I fully realiz(s):)e that we pee most of them away, I often wonder if they're hurting or helping me since I eat really healthfully anyhow. I've read lots of books regarding vitamins and there are arguments and research for both sides - megadoses of vitamins are helpful, megadoses of vitamins destroy us, we get enough in a good diet, our environment and all the processing they do to food causes us to NEED supplements. I know also from experience that even though we think lots of vitamins are harmless, they alter our blood composition and if we're stupid about the pills we pop we could wind up in trouble. Too much B12 had doctor's baffled with my bloodwork many years ago. Ahhh yes...

So I started this thread cuz for the past several months I've not really been taking any and just realized today that my energy has been real low. Gonna start again and see if there's any difference.

Vitamins I generally pop: A good multi, a B complex, C, E, beta carotene, selenium, chromium picolinate (diabetes runs in my family and I read it's a good preventative thing), zinc, and some occasional herbal crap that I'm quite sure has only a plecebo effect if even that.

How bout yoooz guyz? Vitamins, no vitamins, which ones, and why?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I often have a multi-vitamin. Though I'm not wholly consistent about it. I eat real well anyway, so I'm not too concerned with vitamin supps.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I eat at least 2 grams of vitamin C a day, plus an E, and occasionally a B-complex (although that last one makes me smell, and my girlfriend doesn't like it). :D
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Once week or two week I will eat vitamins.

Multi, echinacea, C(if I have no oranges around) and cod liver oil.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I have cod liver oil every morning and then I also take multi-vitamins with it that is designed for those who drink the cod liver oil.

Good stuff! :)
  6. If you are a chop dodger, you definitely need to take vitamins IMHO.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I take a multi and a vitamin C every day in addition to my Prilosec and Claritin.

brad cook
  8. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    Multivitamin everyday. You shouldn't take more than 100% RDA unless you're deficient. Also, get omega 3's. Either through flax oil or fish oil caplets. Buy the cheapest ones you can find, at costco. One of the easiest ways to improve your health in my opinion.
  9. I take a multivitamin and a gram of vitamin C every morning (well, almost... there's the occasional slip).
  10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Multivitamin daily

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yep, well...not exactly vitamins. I don't really eat breakfast much anymore so instead I'll have a packet or two of EmergenC and I'm good to go until lunch. I also take one each of the following: Ester-C, klammath lake blue green Algae (brain food), probiotic Acidophilus, Kona Noni (from Maui Medicinal), Echinacea/Goldenseal (haven't been sick in a long time), Green Tea (great antioxidant) & Milk Thistle (saves my liver from the pale ale's - hehe). I think I'm going to do like a 10 day Master Cleanse fast again soon, food is over-rated - haha.
  12. I try to remember to take a multi every day. I work weird shifts and sometimes my diet suffers, so I think it helps a bit.
  13. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I do not get enough sleep at night, therefore I pop vitamins.
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No. Thanks to the EU :rolleyes:
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I eat food.

If your diet is such that you have to supplement with pills, it's going to cause you problems elsewhere.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's that about?

brad cook
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you have a good diet, you don't need vitamin supplements. A real vitamin deficiency is rare, unless you are ill or really don't eat well.

A lot of pills have vitamins or mineral in a form that can't be digested as well as those in regular foods.

Also, vitamin pills can worsen the effects of smoking (forgot the details you can find it on the net I guess).

[EDIT] found it:

Also, high vitamin C doses are criticised by a lot of scientists.
  18. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    It sounds like you have some knowledge in this area. Well, maybe I should switch back to asparagas and spinach. Hehe.

I found this on the site you posted above:

Dr. John A. Baron, professor of medicine at DMS, and his colleagues found that for participants who smoked cigarettes and drank more than one alcoholic drink per day, the vitamin A precursor beta-carotene doubled the risk of recurring adenomas. Adenomas are benign tumors that could lead to colorectal cancer. In non-smokers or non-drinkers, beta-carotene supplementation was associated with a 44 percent decrease in the risk of colorectal adenoma recurrence, compared to those subjects who received a placebo.

"The key point of the study was the supplements had different effects, depending on the smoking and drinking habits of the subjects," Baron said. "These findings illustrate the complexity that we face in designing safe and effective chemopreventive strategies for any cancer. A careful mix of animal studies, epidemiology and clinical trials is needed,"
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Spoiler alert: Don't read this if you like taking tons of vitamins and herbal supplements and want to continue doing so.

With the exception of those with certain medical conditions, there's no need for anything beyond the occasional multivitamin. You don't even need to take one every day; you get most of the vitamins you need from the food you eat. Unless you have a condition which requires a mega dose of a certain vitamin, there's no need to take anything in addition to a multivitamin. Taking an unnecessary mega dose can only hurt you. ONLY take additional supplements if you have to. ONLY take herbal supplements, homeopathic medications, ginseng or whatever else GNC will sell you as a placebo. Most of these 'medications' are harmless and have no known effect, but some of them can do damage.

"Bull**** medicine for bull**** conditions. You know what works great for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Getting evicted from your apartment." - my father :smug:
  20. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    If you walk into GNC asking them for a placebo, it's not a placebo. :) :)