1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you wear a tie at work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    86.3%
  1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    When I was growing up butchers, teachers and cops wore ties. Now my financial advisor doesn't even wear one.

2. We still wear suits and ties where I work.

3. I had one job where I wore a tie 4 days/week.
    I've still got the ties, but haven't worn one in almost 7 years.

I was really elated to slip back into blue jeans for work on my next job, but the double increase in pay was the real reason I was smiling so much.

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My employers are lucky I dress at all.

You all are, really.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Read somewhere recently that ties are down 80% in the workplace.

I think it's going to be a generational thing, like hats in the 60's when Prez Kennedy stopped wearing them.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I used to but it kinda vanished. Nowadays I only do it for specific meetings.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    We have two uniforms, long sleeve and short sleeve. When we wear long sleeves we have ties on. That's from October 15 to April 15.

So I didn't vote, there's no "sometimes" option.

8. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I work at home. I focus on regular bathing. Working at home by yourself can really warp your sense of time. The calendar zooms by.

Some people who work at home still dress as if they are in a professional setting. Not for me.

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I work in a fabrication lab and on a farm, which are both dangerous places to have a tie around your neck. When I am officiating a wedding, I wear a tie, for sure.

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    No - and if I was required to wear one, I wouldn't be at work there. A uniform, badge, and a gun, is more then enough discomfort, thank you....:)

11. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    One of my goals in life is to not have to wear a tie, ever.

Johnny Crab and Scatabrain like this.
  12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    oh hell no, whoever came up with idea of cinching up a ribbon of clothe around your neck was a moron. The things people will do for vanity :rollno:

Lobster11 and Johnny Crab like this.
  13. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Actually part of it makes sense. It is in part to cover the buttons and line underneath.

I choose to wear shirts with no buttons.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i work on my computer in my living room, so no tie or female equivalent for me :D

15. No I don't. I have some ties and one really good suit, and can dress without complaint when appropriate.

Tuxedos, OTOH, well I have several of them, from another era in my music life.

They still fit. :)

16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Only when the situation calls for it, which is not too often.

17. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm retired now, but I managed a local division for a for a national retail company. I was responsible for all of our business in Washington DC and the state of Maryland.

When I started with the company in 1979, store managers were required to wear a tie daily, even in Florida where I lived at the time.

When I retired in 2009 even upper management only wore ties on occasion. Now I wear a suit and tie at weddings and funerals. I still wear dress shirts pretty often.

My wife and I are going to dinner in a few minutes and then I have an acoustic gig afterward. I'm in a dress shirt and Dockers, it will work for dinner and the gig. I don't need a tie, even though it is a nice restaurant.

Humbled likes this.
  18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Six months ago I changed my routine of 23 years and started working from home.
    So no more ties and starched shirts. It's T shirt & jeans now and a lot less stress and tension.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I used to fairly often, but my seniority and the overall ethos of the university where I work mean that very few people wear ties here. It's mostly folks with top-tier jobs and those working with media.

Lobster11 likes this.
  20. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Never have at an office, but some other co-workers did. Button up shirts and pants that aren't jeans was my uniform for years.