Doctor Who fans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gonzilla, Jan 29, 2009.

1. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Thoughts on Tennant and Eccleston? Thoughts on the new 11th Doctor?

..or is this all stupid discussion, because Tom Baker is the best of all?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm really only a fan of the books. Used to buy them on my trips to England as a kid. I always felt my imagination had a budget way bigger than the tv shows.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Tennant grew on me a whole lot, he actually ranks as my fav right after Tom Baker - he has the quirkiness and wit down well. I honestly couldn't stand him at first after Eccleston who I thought nailed the Doctor so well. The new guy? well....my first impression is thumbs down but then again that's what I said about Tennant. We'll see..

4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    They should've picked David Mitchell for the new one, he would've been a great doctor.

[​IMG]

5. caspa..

caspa.. Guest

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    He just looks too much like Tennant only chubby.

7. I think the guy who plays micky in hustle would have been great(i can't remember his name). The new guy looks too similar to tennant.

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Ecclestone was a much darker doctor. I liked him. But Tennant is good as well. Haven't caught the new guy yet.

9. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I've only seen a handful of episodes...Dr Who and SG-1 are the type of shows that are awesome but hard to get into cause there are so many episodes....I need to go buy some DVD's.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I definitely agree and I thought he was great, which is why my first impression of Tennant wasn't too good. I initially thought he portrayed the Doctor with maybe a little too much levity. Almost the opposite of Eccelston.
    After I while though I started understanding his approach a bit better and as a result he actually grew on me over Eccleston.

11. this is who i meant:
    [​IMG]
    his name is adrian lester

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yes, I actually thought that he was supposed to be the next Doctor, that was what the rumor was at least. I was surprised when they picked the guy they did instead. He would have made an excellent Doctor.

13. Yeah thats what i thought. But some of the people on the rumor list were totally not realistic: Catherine Zeta-Jones and Merra Syal.

Merra would never have been the doctor IMO because the BBC didnt have the balls to choose a non-white doctor let alone a non-white woman.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Catherine Zeta-Jones?? That would have been a near disaster..

I have to admit though that I'm not familiar with Merra Syal.
    Maybe they thought it was too big a change to have the Doctor not only a different race, but gender as well?
    Who knows..I am surprised though that they went with the same old formula when they could have done something different this time around.

At any rate, speaking on non-white actresses on Doctor Who, I'm still in love with Freema Agyeman. I wish they had kept her around longer :atoz:

15. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I'd known of the Doctor for years through my comic book friends, but I really got on board with Tom Baker's version. As far as Eccles? I liked his darker take on the Dr. Seemed like he was a force to be reckoned with. When he got pissed? things got done. Tennant on the other hand? whenever he delivered the line "you don't know who you're messing with" or similar? I just never got intimidated. he was just too nice a guy. Still a great milestone show.

16. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    If they wanted to appear groundbreaking without risking too much, they could have had a regeneration to a black female, and then immediately have another regeneration an episode later to someone "safer". It could be a two-part episode.

17. yeah but if they did that they would look really bad, every body would be like, 'why didn't you keep her???' and IMO alot of people might try and call them rasist

18. Huge fan. I'd say Tennant, for me, has wrested the "best Doctor" title from Tom Baker, and I've been watching the show since I was a little kid, when Jon Pertwee was The Doctor.

Eccleston was great, although he didn't have the time to really flesh out his version of The Doctor - one series isn't enough. Tennant's had three series now, and he will be missed - he's such a good actor and has really given the Tenth Doctor the depth of character he needed.

Matt Smith, based on what little work of his I've seen, should be good - he's a very good actor (although not a thesp/RADA student like most of his predecessors), and he looks like a younger, more emo Tennant with a bigger chin. :D We won't get a chance to see what he's made of until 2010. I've got faith in his casting though - Stephen Moffat (who's taking over from Russell T Davis as show-runner) made the call, and he's been responsible for all the best episodes of new Who (Blink, Silence In The Library, etc).

EDIT: Here's a pic of Matt Smith...

[​IMG]

19. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkZhAtjT8U
    You don't even have to like Dr Who to enjoy the above clip. Just good sci-fi parody.

My sister watches the show. In the little I've seen, the only Doctor I could tolerate was Tom Baker. Didn't like the others.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021