1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does a 4-string bass become obsolete after picking up a 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustRoots, Jun 1, 2018.

1. My Lakland 55-94 Deluxe is lighter than most 4 string basses I've owned. The body is swamp ash which is fairly light but has nice tonal attributes.

GonePlaid likes this.
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I think he's talking about the weight of amps and cabs which I was complaining about rather than basses. I have noticed no problem with the weight of 5 string basses themselves. On the other hand I will note that both my 7 string basses are 12 pounds or nearly so and necks are hideously wide, but those kinds of basses are not the subject of this thread.

ShirazBop and GonePlaid like this.
  3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, he was wrong about the amps/cabs weight, too - IMO, he's either trolling, or woefully ignorant of today's gear choices... My Streamliner 900 and Mesa D800 can put out 900 and 800 watts, respectively - and my pair of Subway 115 cabs handle a low B just fine at 37lbs each: Mesa Subway 115 Stack(1).JPG Mesa Subway Full Stack(2).JPG

GonePlaid likes this.
  4. GroovyBassist

GroovyBassist

Mar 17, 2016
    Austin, TX
    That is a matter of opinion and preference. Obviously ours are different. But that's OK. I play both 4's and 5's but tend to lean toward the 5's more due to the projects I'm involved with. Nonetheless, the OP was asking if 4's become obsolete after going to a 5. The answer to that question is no.

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. 7615

Nov 19, 2015

Do the math - that's an 80lb rig. Real light. Do the math. (37 lbs each.) So more than double the weight of top notch equipment out there.

IMO you are both classically ignorant as well as being ignorant in the pejorative sense.

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. 7615

Nov 19, 2015

I tuned my bass BEAD last night and played it through the Mark II - not bad - and it didn't have proper strings - it might work for you - 35 lbs!!

The GK MB115 has a 15 inch with a horn and I think the mark is a little warmer. Unfortunately the tweeter on the Mark can not be turned off whereas the horn in the GK can be turned off. Depending on the bass it can make quite a difference.

GonePlaid likes this.
  7. GroovyBassist

GroovyBassist

Mar 17, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Dude, I thought we already agreed to disagree. I like my five string. You like your four. Why are you trying to sell me on a four string. I have them, I play them but for my current situation Five strings is where it's at. So go D-tune, B-Tune or whatever you want to do with your four String. I'm happy with what I have.

GonePlaid likes this.
  8. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    I’m not trying to convert - you said you liked the Mark 2 and said you wanted a set up something like a Mark II

I think you should go take your 5 string and check out a Mark - it might handle it. They are very warm sounding amps . And weigh less than 40 lbs.

GonePlaid likes this.
  9. GroovyBassist

GroovyBassist

Mar 17, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I think you are confusing me with somebody else. I never said that. I use a Trace Elliot rig.

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. lol....ok

bassbenj and GonePlaid like this.
  11. Some of these threads are interesting. We all have a common thread...we are bass players. I never say, "I'm a 5 string bass player. I never in the past said "I play the 4 string bass". I doubt anyone is that specific unless you are writing your bio and listing the gear you use. What's cooler? Whatever you think cooler is...and nobody else.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    GonePlaid and GroovyBassist like this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I don't know about "obsolete", but... I've heard - from people I trust - that every time somebody picks up a 5-string bass, a 4-string bass vanishes forever. Which is why it's a personal point of honor to never, ever touch a 5-string bass....:whistle:

GonePlaid likes this.
  13. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    "That's funny, I don't care who you are!"

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Too true. I only own 5 strings, and had to cover a few tunes from Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime." I Don't Believe in Love, was one of them. I wound up drop tuning instead of playing the D on the B string. Got laughed at by some of my friends for it, but it was just easier to play that way. A couple of them found that out too when they tried to play it on the B string instead of drop tuning. lol

GonePlaid likes this.