1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone have opnions on the Markbass CMD 102P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twenty2AcaciaAv, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm looking to get a new amp. Something with more umph. I play in a rock band. Any opions on the Markbass CMD 102P? Would it be overkill for a band that mainly plays in bars and a few outdoor festivals?

2. A 210? no way its overkill. I would want two of them at a minimum for any practice/gig.

3. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    +1
    I owned that combo, and ended up returning it to GC. It just didn't give me the deep bass that I liked for my cover band. Adding another 210 would probably have made the difference.

4. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Well I currently have an acoustic B200H with an Acoustic 115 cab. I'm sure it has more of a deep bass sound than that (does it?). Would it be unwise to use the 115 with the MB combo with that cab?

5. You'll really need to audition one to be sure.

Short of that, I was in the market for a lightweight combo, and narrowed it down to Markbass. I played thorugh the various MB combos and really liked the sound of the CMD102P. But I was a little concerned about it keeping up with my loudass drummer.

So I hauled him into the local GC with me, we took a CMD102P over to the drum room, and I auditioned the combo with my drummer at peak volume.

He blew me and the CMD102P away.

Same experiment with the CMD151P (1X15 combo, same LM head). I was able to keep up very nicely, even drowned him out a bit.

I bought the CMD151P.

YMMV, depends on your volume needs. You can go with the 102P, and if worse comes to worse, add a seperate cab (like a 1X15 or 2X10). It's perfect for lower volume gigs, and it's a one-hander. Very convenient.

6. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah, you're gonna need more for a bar gig and especially if you play outside. A drummer and just one gui**** would blow that combo away.

7. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    It will be fine if the drums are not miked and played reasonably, or as a stage monitor in smallish bars/not too loud stages. For open air, no... An extension cab (preferably a std 102hf) would help a lot.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'm doing pretty much the same with my LMIII head, except I use a Traveler 151P cab which has a bigger box than the 151P combo. Haven't been drowned out yet. Actually, I have two Travelers, but mostly get by with just one for small-to-medium gigs. Outdoors, two are better, although I got away with just one a couple of weeks ago.

You get more cab volume with a separate head/cab rig.

9. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    It probably really depends on your band. I know that my LMII + 102p cab will not keep up with my band even at rehearsal, but the head with bigger cabs is pretty loud. We rent a rehearsal space by the hour sometimes that it is equipped with an Ampeg SVT 410he + 115he stack (with a solid state Ampeg head). When I first got my LMII I ran it through the Ampeg cabs and it's loud enough through that. The head itself is pretty strong, especially considering I can carry it along with all my cables and multi-effects pedal in a backpack.

If you go for Markbass stuff I'd suggest going with a separate head instead of the combo, and perhaps pairing it with a Markbass cab or a different brand cab altogether. The piezo tweeter in the Markbass cabs is really hissy, and the combos don't have an L pad for the tweet. The separate cabinets do, and I keep mine down pretty low (like 9 o'clock).

10. @Russell and Nitro:

Yep, LMII/LMIII and two cabs of 2X10 or larger, and you are ready for about anything. I've rocked large theater stages with two 15's and a LMIII, and the sound guy asked me to lower my stage volume so he could get a better FOH mix.

11. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I am not sure why everyone keeps saying it is not enough. I use it for practices and cover band gigs and it does great. Gets really loud and sounds good.

12. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I really like mine but for extensive b-string use went for a second 102hf. Works great, one is set vertically near the beater and the combo is behind and angled up at me. More focus down low but still shouldn't upset the bar or elderly Ray Price fans.

13. If you can run an extension cab and are happy with your current tone, why not get another matching cab? You would have 2 pieces, but still fairly compact with less cash outlay.

I am an admitted 15 junkie and as far as Markbass, highly praise the Jeff Berlin combo. I checked out it and the 2 10 before buying and have been totally pleased with my choice.

I just added the NY151 extension cab and don't think I'll ever need more power or volume for my purposes.

14. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I added a STD102HF extension cab to my CMD102P. I'm very happy with that combination.