1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone know what pedal Underoath used on Illuminator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tazthewonderdog, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I'm curious about what fuzz/overdrive pedal the band Underoath used for the track Illuminator. You can find a legit bass-only track on YouTube, and I love the sound and fuzz that the pedal puts out... I just don't know what pedal it is.

Has anybody asked their bassist? Does anyone know their bassist and would you ask for me?

Thanks!

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    That's most definitely some variant of a RAT to my ears!

3. Thank you very much! I've been looking for a pedal, and I decided I'd get either an Ibanez Phat-hed, or whatever UO's using. Thanks!

4. I believe it's just a boost pedal pushing an ampeg. I can get the same tone from my bluebeard fuzz

5. Boost pedal?
    I am unfamiliar with this term, please explain

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Boost pedal...a pedal that boosts your signal...

7. That's all it does?
    Huh... I am intrigued.

8. why thank you very much!

9. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  10. keep in mind thats the live setup. in the studio, who knows. i read david bendeth ran all the bass tracks through a BDDI when he got them on the records he mixed. whoever mixed this likely got a DI and amp track and then went to town.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What they meant was that an all-tube Ampeg head "becomes" a distortion effect when you boost the signal feeding into it. The boost pedal by itself doesn't do anything but make your signal louder.

He might have been using the Rat as a boost, combining the Rat and Ampeg distortions.