1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone make a boutique StingRay "copy"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthew.murray, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I love boutique jazz basses ("copies")... my Low End is the best bass in the world for me. Sadowsky, Lull, Alleva-Coppolo, etc. are all great, too.

But does anyone make a high end "copy" of a Sting Ray? I love the sound, but the neck doesn't do it for me. I know that the Lakland 4-94 is close to this, but I want a boutique bass, 3+1 tuners, oval pick guard, single MM pickup in the right place.

Anyone do this currently? Brian Barrett, are you listening? If not, is anyone willing?

2. you can always have one custom made

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The thing is, the only part trademarked by Fender is the headstock shape, so all those boutique copies (in the US and EU anyway) are free to copy all other elements as much as they want. With the EBMM's, every little curve and detail is trademarked by EBMM, and they pursue copiers vigorously. There are lots of luthiers who can get you in the ballpark in terms of feel, tone, and general aesthetic, but I think most of the reputable ones would shy away from too close of a copy.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lakland will make the 55-76 for the right amount of money or you could contact Nino Valenti.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You ever try out a preEB StingRay?
    The necks are thinner with a rounder profile, way different, feel great. And if you're considering a botique price tag, then the price of a preEB shouldn't scare you.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Dare I suggest a Skyline 55-02?

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    or you could have someone shave the neck down a bit... assuming that's the direction you wanna go.

8. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    G & L ASATs look great!

9. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I believe there was a TB'er a few days ago that showed his sadowsky with mm(-style) electronics. It was a custom order.

You also have a few european builders that make mm-like instruments: Boerjes, human-base. But I think if you live in the US, there are better options for getting it custom built (Valenti, Stambaugh, ...)

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It really depends what you want. If you want a "name brand" boutique, you probably will not get a direct EMBB copy for obvious intellectual property reasons. However, there are a lot of companies (some already mentioned in this thread) who make a "better Stingray" (Stingray on steriods) if you want. However, if you wanted an exact replica built with your neck specs, although its dubious from an IP point of view, I have no doubt you could find a quality boutique lutheir who'd be prepared to make you a one off. You might want to ask in the Luthiers Corner section and you might get some PMs about it. You wouldn't have the same name brand "cache", but you would get the exact look and feel that you want.

That said, but all accounts EBMM makes a very good product so if you could get a qualified tech to shave down the neck - or even look into a replacement neck to your specs, you might save some cash.

11. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yep, the Lakland version.... I've seen a few on here occasionally, very rare IIRC.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Modulus Flea/Funkwhatever is certainly MM inspired.

13. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    My vote would be the Sadowsky. You will have to beg Roger to do it and you may have to wait a while. But, it can be done. While the Lakland 55-76 is cool, it does not sound like it will be what you are looking for. The neck is pretty similar to the feel of the EBMM neck. The Sadowsky is a bit thinner, IMHO. The headstock will be inline 4 though. Check with Warrior, they do a lot of MM style basses as well. That is going to be a a 2+2 headstock. Their necks are REALLy thin and playable though. They are quite a bargain on the used market. Search the For Sale forums and you can probably find one.

14. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    nobody has said EB MM Sterling?? ..

keep with the MM sound and name .. with a jazz style neck.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Shoot an email or call EBMM. I had a replacement neck built for a SR5 a few years ago, and they were very accomadating.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Interesting....my questions about that aside, EBMM will not build a custom neck (unless you are perhaps Tony Levin, who does not require a custom neck, so this is useless information) nor will they sell replacement parts unless the old part is returned (and then it is an exact replacement).

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    You want the 3+1 headstock on a bass that's not made by Ernie Ball? That's gonna be hard as EB doesn't like that in other basses, and will defend their designs.

I'd contact Ernie Ball and see about getting a custom neck shape as it seems the only thing you don't like is the neck. Or, learn to adapt to different necks. It's much more fun, more liberating, and way cheaper.

jte

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Won't look the same, but Check out the Dingwall Z-2. It's a EBMM killer.

19. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    I concur with the other poster, grab a EBMM Sterling, similar body profile, slimmer neck, close all around sound. A little more versatile (single H models). And if you have the need for the high end feeling grab a 'BFR" they look fabulous....

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    blindrabbit likes this.