1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone make a short scale flatwound set in: 40, 60, 80, 100 gauges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HalfManHalfBass, Dec 27, 2017.

1. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi all,
    as the title says, is there anyone who makes such a gauged, shortscale set?

If not I guess I'll just have to buy the 45 65 80 100 short scale set of D'Addario Chromes and their 40 60 80 100 long scale sets and mix them -but it gets a bit expensive like that!

Many thanks in advance.

2. One way to save a few bucks is to get the short scale set and long scale 40 and 60 as singles.

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Single Bass Strings - Long Scale

HalfManHalfBass likes this.
  3. EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  4. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
  5. Sorry, I was not aware of that. This is why I wish all manufacturers and dealers would list ALL the gauges.

edencab likes this.
  6. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah, me too! :D

Why short scale Chromes aren't available in the same gauges as their long scales I'll never know!

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Dunlop. Will be shipping soon

alesreaper9 likes this.
  8. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I can only find the 45 - 105 short scale Dunlop sets on your site and they are only available to ship within the United States.... I'm in Italy :bawl::crying:

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Is there any particular reason you want 40-60-80-100 strings - other than the symmetry? There are a number of reasons most string sets are gauged the way they are, but... what you want, is what you want..:thumbsup:

10. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I find they just feel right: 40, 60, 80, 100 -and I just don't get along with a 0.45 for a G!

I know it's weird, but they just feel more 'balanced' like that to me.

11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Nah, I don't think it's weird; lots of people prefer custom string sets. I'm just not one of them... good luck in your search!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Could you make a medium scale set work? You can get a Hybrid set of Rotosound 77 Flatwounds in those gauges. Only in medium scale, apparently...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. I thought there was a difference in how short vs long were made?
    That longs cut off to fit a short didn't sound like the longs on a long or like the shorts should sound on a short.

Otherwise, why doesn't everyone just buy longs and cut them off?

13. In my limited research, since I ordered a 28.5" Jackson Minion last night (!) I believe that some brands don't do anything but make the strings shorter, whereas others will use a thicker core on the short strings to keep the tension up.

OP, I wouldn't get too hung up on the gauges of the strings. Strings from two brands will feel totally different if you're sensitive enough to feel the big difference better 45 and 40. I used Chromes for two years, switched to Rotos and they're much stiffer. Got GHS on order with my new ultra short bass, and from what I read they're equivalent in tension to the long scale variants.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  14. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    From OldGarage-Bander: "why doesn't everyone buy longs and cut them off?"

Because the silk windings on the string ball end and for the tuning post do not fit. IE: ball end silks may fall on the saddles and post end silks will wind far enough that you end up with non-silk wound parts of the string on the post. Not good for tone or string life according to manufacturers and my experience.

Hope this is helpul.

Koog

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  15. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    A post of mine from some months ago about this:
    Long-scale strings thicker than .08 or .085 risk breakage if wound full-thickness around tuning posts, especially if the latter are smaller ones. This doesn't mean they're sure to break eventually (most of us with a shorty has used long-scale strings on it at one time or the other), but they may. Not to mention guitar-type tuners found on some SS basses (Danelectro, Höfner), where 4 to 6 extra inches of string wouldn't physically fit. This is the main reason for the existence of sets of different lengths instead of one size meant to fit all. As I say above, in most cases string makers appear to indeed make their SS strings identical to LS ones, only wound shorter. But there are (somewhat unfrequent) exceptions, either in choice of gauges or in the inner make-up of the strings, as mentioned.
    In another post I offered an attempt at explanation for the very slightly different diameters of the ADG strings in the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat super-long scale set (JF364) vs. the long-scale one (JF344):
    thomastik jazz flats question

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  16. Thanks for addressing my question.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  17. Thanks for that info.
    I guess I didn't realize that the silks on the saddle vs not, made that much difference in tone.
    Though it seems I've seen lots of instances of no silk on tuners.

18. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thats the exact guages I have been using since 1990 when I got my first Alembic Series I bass. I use DR Hi Beam 40-60-80-100 and bought a set of flatwounds in the same guage this past year but do not remember if they were DR or D'Addario. Google search the guage in flats and for short scale. You should find a maker that way.

19. When I first installed flats to my P, the E was dead sounding. Traced the problem to the silk sitting on the bridge saddle. Scraped it back a little and problem solved. A bit of metal on metal is what you need.