1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Does G&L do factory servicing of used basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 10, 2020.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have a G&L L2000. There seems to be a couple of gremlins in the electronics. There's too much going on in there for me to dive in. Will they go through it and get it up to factory specs?

If so, do any of you have experience with this?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’d ask the Rocket Music guy.

3. I’d ask Ken at bassesbyleo.com

GlennRH and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Calling Greg (@RocketMusic)!:hyper:

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    /\/\3phist0, Clark W and Indiana Mike like this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  7. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I trust Mo at Nordstrand.

love G&L, but Mo is the best.

8. digbass

digbass Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Reseda

Yes they do, any legit company does. I had them replace a neck on a bass earlier this year.

9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I miss my L2000.

Datsgor and two fingers like this.
  10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    There have definitely been a handful of factory wiring mistakes on G&Ls, particularly on the pickup switches of the 2000/2500 basses. My old L2500 came from the factory with some of the wires on the coil switch swapped between pickups (so that Series mode had one coil from one pickup running through one coil from the other for example). Lots of wires on there to mix up I guess! To me it wouldn’t be worth shipping back just to swap a few wires, but YMMV (I was planning on doing some electronics mods on mine anyway).

two fingers likes this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What kind of "gremlins"? I'd guess there's somebody in Raleigh who's competent. @walterw here in VB has done his fair share. Shipping to 'n fro would be cost-prohibitive IMO.

Riis

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Odd intermittent distortion even with a fresh battery. Battery leads seem to be intact as well. I can't find a short in them.

I've even gotten some distortion in passive mode.

(And, yes, I realize how ridiculously hot those MFD hunbuckers are, and have adjusted volume/gain accordingly.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    groooooove and Zooberwerx like this.
  13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...and lowered the pickups and bass & volume controls, right? (not to preach or anything, just my experience with them)

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. It's intermittent anyway. If it were pickup output it would be all the time.

15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yeah, it would be on spiky notes. ...maddening!

16. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA

^^^^THIS^^^^^

I would think shipping a bass between coast (twice) would be very expensive. Not knowing where in NC you live, hopefully there would be a competent guitar tech semi-close to you. I guess I get spoiled living a short distance from Mike Lull's guitar works. (RIP Mike) G&L's are great basses, hopefully you get the issue sorted out.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Good thing, too. Watch and learn.

two fingers likes this.
  18. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm- it might be worth it to try to reflow solder joints to begin with. A weak solder joint could cause issues. Also check that all the switches are switching cleanly- a funky switch that makes intermittent connections or sticks between settings can cause issues. Also (hard to do if it is totally intermittent), but disconnect the battery and check whether you still have issues in passive mode. The preamp in G&Ls is actually always connected to the signal input and so can cause issues even in passive mode (I never used my preamps on these basses and always left the battery out for this reason). An intermittent battery cable or stereo jack could definitely cause these issues. These kinds of jacks are failure-prone, especially if you ever use any cables with larger diameter plugs (like Monster and Planet Waves) that can wear them out faster. See if jiggling/twisting the plug in the jack causes any issues.

two fingers and Honkey tonk like this.
  19. SC Guy

SC Guy

Jul 22, 2016
    FYI- My experience with G&L service is mixed.
    They fixed a problem with a bass guitar preamp however took almost 6 months to get it back to me. Also, I had to go thru a G&L dealer to get any kind of feedback as they never returned any of my phone calls. A quick search here (Talkbass) and on the internet will confirm that others have had a similar experience.

two fingers likes this.
  20. Personally, I would buy another pre. But then again, I’m all thumbs when it comes to repairs.

two fingers likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021