1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does GC discount used gear?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Jim C, May 25, 2018.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    With the big sale weekend ahead, I'm wodering if any of you have been able to get a discount on used GC gear.
    I've bought a few used items but could never get them to give a discount even for items that had been listed for awhile.
    Is there a coupon or any advice for negotiating with these guys?

2. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Used a 10% used gear coupon that came out a year and a half ago. Those coupons are few and far between though

mogator, soulman969 and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    It's case by case. For something that has been in inventory for awhile, they usually will haggle a bit with you. For something they just got in, they typically won't.

soulman969 likes this.
  4. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    Its always worth asking, especially if its been there for a bit. Sometimes they'll at least cover shipping just to get the sale vs. you just going online and buying.

5. GC buys a used bass for $100 and sells it for $500. When the bass is returned to a store because it wasn’t in ‘great condition’ as advertised, GC records the value of the bass on its books as $500 since that was the sale price, despite the return. Instant paper profits, a healthier balance sheet, better credit rating, more ‘secured’ loans... why should it discount used gear?

If GC was interested in selling used gear instead of cooking the books, it might want to consider showing more than one photo of the gear taken with a cell phone camera from 20 feet away.

R&B and fivestringdan like this.
  6. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

That's a pretty serious fraud allegation you've made, what evidence do you have that it is true?

saabfender and Gorn like this.
  7. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Here is their selling model for used gear as I have been told by GC employees and experienced having sold them some gear I felt would be a "tough sell"
    Establish price of the item using E-Bay, Reverb, etc [let's use $100 for simplicity]
    Pay the seller $60 for the used article [60%]
    Re-list the article online and in store for $100
    After the item sits around for 2 months start marking it down 10% at a time.
    They typically do NOT negotiate the sale price unless there is some kind of event on used which is rare.

R&B and soulman969 like this.
  8. I asked an employee recently about a used bass that they had priced at $300 which sold new for $250 in 2012. Employee told me they had no control over pricing, but that after 100 days the price would drop.

9. You first. What evidence do you have?

10. dave79

You have to be joking. Sometimes I wish the internet wasn't invented.

gfen, WannabeBassman and saabfender like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

what part of that would be fraud?

instrumentalist and Cliff Colton like this.
  12. dave79

Pretty much all of it. "Cooking the books" to make the company appear to have more financial assets than they do and acquiring loans etc. off of the fraudulent figures would be the source of multiple felony charges at both the state and the federal level.

13. dave79

...and saying in print online that they are committing a slew of crimes with absolutely no evidence to speak of is libel...

14. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Back on the main topic. Used gear is not included in this sale or virtually any other sale they conduct throughout the year. Neither are blems and/or returned open box merchandise. As others have posted they will eventually begin to lower prices after a certain period of time but those I know who've worked their including a store manager say dealing on used gear is out of their hands. Corporate policy prevails.

GC is not the place to go if you're looking to bargain or horse trade.

15. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    IF that's true it would be an odd way to keep the books. Certainly not something an independent auditor would sign off on.

dave79 likes this.
  16. dave79

Legally they’d have to list their assets for what they’re worth for taxation purposes when they acquire them. Even if it doesn’t sell for $500 it is taxed in inventory at 500 since that’s what they are selling it for, the thought that they would only value it at 500 after it’s returned is absurd and ridiculous...along with being incredibly illegal. The best way I can think of to describe this to someone who hasn’t run a business is to think about your taxes you pay yearly on a car or a house. If you pay 500$ To buy a 5,000$ car you still get taxed for a 5,000$ car.

17. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    When I ran the division of a company selling capital assets (medical equipment) if an item was returned for credit it was assigned a new inventory number but it's cost remained as whatever we had paid for it. It was not entered as if we had repurchased it at it's sales price. The sales figures were simply adjusted to reflect the credit.

Based on anything I know or have worked with that is how it's done according to GAP accounting principals.

18. yodedude2

i get that, but in the example, they sold the item at 500. and bought it back for the same amount, 500. so for a nominal inventory tax, they are now valuing it at 500., not 100, and are taxed at the higher amount. it seems like a dumb business practice to me, but i don't see the fraud.

(i ignored the whole bit about 'cooking the books' as opinion and conjecture.)

as far as the o.p. goes, any discount on used gear is a 'phantom' discount in my opinion. used gear is worth what the market at large will bear. specifically, 'will they negotiate?' i expect the general answer is 'no.'

19. dave79

Claiming that you have more assets than you do to get a loan is fraud. Not sure how I can make that any clearer.

20. yodedude2

sorry i don't get it. if it sold recently for 500., and can reasonably expect to sell again for 500., then it should be an asset valued at 500. thanks for trying to explain it to me, though. cheers!