Does the unplugged Casady bass make a sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davem74, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Davem74

Davem74

Sep 9, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does the Epiphone Jack Casady bass (since it's a semi-hollowbody) make any sound when it's unplugged? I'm thinking of buying one, and one reason would be to have a bass to practice on late at night.

I'm fine with plugging it in when I play with other people, but wondering if I'd also be able to use it for very low-volume (but not silent) practice.

Thanks.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very much so. You can hear yourself clearly if playing in a quiet room without an amp.

3. Davem74

Davem74

Sep 9, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fantastic, thanks. Another point in favor of the Casady.

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    Um, I practice often on a solid body bass without amplification. I never understood that need for a bedroom amp thing. You can hear these things unplugged

5. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    yup.............although i purposely favor 'acoustically loud' solidbody basses (theres always a debate on TB about the bonus viability differences in the natural acoustics of solidbody basses - Im in the "yes, it matters" camp) my G&L ASAT is literally the loudest solid-body on the planet....not just my opinion either from others who have handled it :D ........

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Another win for the model is how nice it sounds in the mix.

Old Blastard, pudgychef and Davem74 like this.
  7. What I find is that practising un-amped on a solidbody changes my finger attack for some reason.

I'd rather practise amped through headphones if I want go "quiet".

I can't get the subtle nuances in fingering for tonal effect and volume if I just play un-amped. Just doesn't sound the same.

8. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    ^^ This. Practising unplugged all the time may lead to playing unnecessarily hard. Playing with an amp develops your feel better.

TrustRod, lfmn16, Mechanical and 11 others like this.
  9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Only if you're there to hear it. :roflmao:

dmt, seang15, Robert Sperling and 9 others like this.
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Davem74 likes this.
  11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    How about if it's in the forest with no one there to hear?

I like headphones for actual practice and just acoustic (solid body bass) for just noodling in the living room but then I just slap the $hit out of the bass even though I'm not a slap player ;) Encourages me to broaden my technique.

12. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "Practising unplugged all the time may lead to playing unnecessarily hard. Playing with an amp develops your feel better."

This definitely applies to me. Amplified, I use high volume and a light touch. If I play an electric bass unplugged, I tend to start getting too aggressive with my right hand and then have to make a conscious adjustment when I plug in.

TrustRod likes this.
  13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    It's really ony a litte bit louder than a solid body electric bass played unplugged.

14. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I don't recommend it. I do it from time to time, but I don't recommend it. Practicing without an amp is a great way to learn bad habits like overplaying and leaving sloppy open strings ringing out. I'm not perfect, if I need to put a little time in on something and don't feel like walking to the office to grab an amp, I'll play acoustically, but that's quite rare. Having something battery powered that's easy to keep with you is a very good idea, I often use an old Korg Pandora PX5D.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Are you talking about practicing on an unplugged solidbody, or specifically on a Jack Casady? If the former I agree with you (and others who have said the same thing). But a Jack Casady -- being kind of a hybrid of a true hollowbody and semi-hollowbody -- is almost as loud acoustically as an ABG, and certainly enough so to practice on without worrying about developing bad habits (such as plucking too hard in order to be heard).

Davem74 likes this.
  16. Davem74

Davem74

Sep 9, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    YMMV, but this definitely isn't true for my basses (a Fender P and a Fender J). You can just barely hear them, no better than if you played a Telecaster or SG guitar unplugged. Sure, it's fine if I wake up at 3 a.m. with a riff in mind and I have to work it out then and there, but for real playing/practicing it's not remotely loud enough.

17. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    Different strokes....

StatesideRambler likes this.
  18. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Absolutely. I often use acoustically it and my computer, playing softly through its speakers, to sort out song changes late at night.

19. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I completely agree. Amplification is part of the sound, practicing unamped makes your fingering technique completely different.

20. Well, I do believe any item makes a sound, if you bang upon it a bit. However, hollow bodied instruments do tend to resonate quite a bit more than solid bodied instruments.

As transferring cables between my true amp and a practice amp is quite inconvenient, I tend to simply lay my head against my solid bodied instruments, while I'm playing to achieve a similar effect to a practice amp. Sounds odd, but truly works. Go for what sounds best amped, seeing as the sound that comes about when un-amped doesn't truly matter, to a degree.

Best wishes, Pauly