Does This Bother Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jun 24, 2004.

1. This is a listing on Elderly's site.

Part of the description is as follows:
    EC except needs work (clean electronics, rewire battery to jack switch, remove sticker, restring and set up, etc.)

They are selling this thing with only 2 strings on it. I would think that a place like Elderly could do the above repairs with little problem. I think this just looks like lazy, bad business. I have never done business with Elderly, but I can't imagine I would after seeing something like this.
  2. That's their way of saying they have no intention of sinking a dime of their money or a minute of their time into it. They know they won't get their investment back if they do. Elderly is a reputable outfit and they didn't last as long as they've lasted by sinking time and money into items that don't pay.
  3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I somewhat agree about putting the time and money and not getting that back. They could at least put a set of strings on it. Even some used set would be fine.

What about this? An American Deluxe in a transparent blonde finish, yet only 2-4 pics are of that actual bass and the rest seem to be from another P-Bass in black. Why not take pics of the body and everything else?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

AFAIK, Geroge Gruhn is associated with them.

That's about as reputable as you can get.

Lots of places sell "handyman's dreams."
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm sure they took that Ibanez in trade and just want it out the door. I am surprised it has no strings but based on the other "as is" items, seems like it needs a lot more than strings :D

They sell a lot of "as is" gear and they are very upfront about condition. Like lonote wrote, at some point it's not worth their money to repair tradeins before reselling them.
  7. i think the p-bass is probably a mix-up. they're a great store and i imagine they just aren't devoting resources to their used web pages that they maybe should. bear in mind, also, that they don't ship used items, so if you have questions, you can have them answered by the staff in the store when you visit.

8. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Elderly is a very reputable dealer. The kind of place where you can go in all day and grab as many basses you want, plug into whatever you want...and waste the day away with no hinderance. (SP)...

I bought my Hartke head there as is used. However when I found out it had some loose terminals in the back I called them on it. They had me bring it up, did repairs for free and sent me on my way. How's that for as is. Now the thing runs like a top.
  9. Levi

Apr 4, 2004
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Fixed it for ya.