Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this scale have a name?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Sep 19, 2004.

1. A piano player friend either heard someone playing this scale, or "discovered" it himself while noodling. He asked me if I was aware of it's existence, and if so did it have a name. I couldn't find it in any of my materials, and I've got a list of every exotic non Western scale you never heard of, including the Enigmatic scale, Hindu Gypsy minor, Raga Todi, etc. So now I'm curious as well. It's basically a major scale with a flat 6:

C,D,E,F,G,Ab,B,C for example.

And don't tell me it's Ionian flat 6.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've heard this scale called "Harmonic Major", although I couldn't say where. It's also similar to what Jamey calls the "Major Bebop" scale, which is the same collection with an "A" added.

3. Yep Right On Its the Major Bebop scale

4. I'm affraid not Jace - there is a minor 3rd between Ab and B - to make the major be-bop scale the A natural would have to be present as well. Close!

BWT I've heard this called the harmonic major too in various books but can't quote one at the moment.

6. musicjunky

musicjunky

Oct 13, 2004
    Turlock, CA
    actually, its not a minor 3rd. since they notes are on an adjacent line and space it would be an augmented 2nd. dont mean to be a jerk, just letting you know for future reference. so people dont laff.

7. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Harmonic Major.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Harmonic major.

*edit* Just realized I missed the boat on this topic. I'm kind of slow.