1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this sound reasonable?...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Claymore, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Yes, this is a decent fix.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. There's a better way (please specify).

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I don't play tapes but I do eat carrots.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    So, I LOVE tapewounds on two particular basses I own that were overly aggressive and the tapes (Labella Copper White) tamed them in the best possible way. I love the feel as well as the sound. The catch is that because you're not making contact with the strings, there is a grounding issue and noise is introduced. I was thinking about another way for the metal parts of your bass to make contact with your body and I finally came up with an idea that may be perfect OR stupid... or both! What if I drilled a tiny hole in the rear compartment cover and had a ground wire with a small clip that goes on your belt? The inner part of the clip would be touching your six-pack, or beer belly or whatever and then everything would be grounded? If you were playing live, it would be invisible to the audience and your tapewound-sporting bass would be nice and quiet. Can you think of a better solution? I'm all ears because I REALLY don't want to take the tapes off. Except for the noise, they sound great.

2. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I BUMPed into an old lady the other day but I apologized.

Outshined91 and HG1180 like this.
  3. Is this old lady going to be getting in your way every 28 mins? ;):D

4. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Very very possible. :laugh:

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it does not sound reasonable to me. that said: i had a beater bass that i grounded (to bridge) externally until i realized how unreasonable it was.
    20180629_165905_Burst01b copy.jpg

Claymore likes this.
  6. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I was seeing the picture wrong... I get what you did now.

JRA likes this.
  7. @Claymore

Somebody already beat you to the market with that idea. I forget the name but it was around $300 a pop.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It wasn't that much, was it?

Yes, a gizmo like this exists, I can't find it on the web because I can't remember its catchy name. Anyway, it is a regular instrument cable, except on one end there's an extra wire coming out of the instrument plug, the other end of the wire is soldered to thin metal disk or coin. You're supposed to tuck this under your belt (I assume) and... Oh, nevermind, I just remembered the name. dBuz... (a 15' one is $55)

dBuz - Aero Instrument

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    How about EMGs?

10. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I'm not replacing my MFD's. No way. They sound too good.

FunkHead likes this.
  11. This sounds reasonable to me. I discovered the same problem with elixirs the first time I’d used them and it drove me nuts until I figured it out.

As an alternate idea, in case you want something completely on the bass, what if you ran a ground wire through either the pickup route or under a pickguard (if it has one), so it comes out where you rest your thumb? Or have it attached to a metal thumb rest that you stick on with double sided tape. Just some other ideas if you find the whole clip on your belt thing annoying.

Claymore likes this.
  12. I know for a fact that I have seen a set of tapes that had conductive windings, I dont remember what they were called but I will search for them

If I find them I will post them here!

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    GHS Balanced Pure Nickels have a nice round tone, and you don't have the grounding issue you have with nylon tape strings. I had the same issues. One bass I changed out to EMG actives. One bass has a chrome pickup cover where I anchor my thumb to get the contact to kill the noise. That's about it for solutions.

Claymore likes this.
  14. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I had thought about the pickguard thing. That was definitely on the table but I move my right hand position a lot. Sometimes not even touching the body. I guess I could make a point to be touching it at all times just on that instrument.

15. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I would love to know that. I didn't think such a thing existed.

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

If I am not wrong, reduced hum when you touch the strings indicates a grounding problem in the bass since the string are grounded to begin with through the bridge. I don't have any noise like this with any of my many basses. I remember some issue like that in the past but can't remember what I did about it.

I hope someone can either correct me or quantify the issue.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

He’s playing nylon tapewounds so there’s no electrical contact between their metal cores and the bridge. ;)

18. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Scrape off some nylon behind the bridge to expose the string’s metal core, then attach the $55 alligator clip connected with the coin to the exposed core, and use the coin as a pick.

Gibson might have a patent on this, so be careful.

19. 2playbass

2playbass Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Get a wireless system so the bass is no longer electrically connected to anything. There are lots of inexpensive ones out there that work well. I have been using the Sennheiser XSW-D instrument set, and it has been working really well. Good range and no interference issues. I have have tried quite a number, and this is the best I've tried without going to a full FM system.

rollie 55 likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    That is a way to ground yourself. I'd suggest metal mesh underwear and an alligator clip to connect yourself to your bass.

But seriously, when you go to a gig, it's a very good idea to find out if things like a mic in front of you are grounded to the same potential as your instrument. I've had my lips shocked a couple times due to bad wiring. If I ran into that situation again, I'd hate for what's in my shorts to be the thing that gets shocked.

Outshined91, rollie 55 and michael_t like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021