1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does USPS give refunds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 18, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I was wondering if USPS gave refunds?

What happened was that a TBer brought strings from me and I shipped them out (to have to returned for being "undeliverable" due to packaging)

So to make up for I resent them overnight. That was a week ago, and he still hasn't gotten it. The overnight shipping cost me more than what he bought the strings for. :mad:

So now what are my options? Should I go to USPS tomorrow and complain, and get a refund (or find out what happened to the strings?!:spit:) I still have my reciept. Or, in this case, am I just SOL?

2. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

If you sent them overnight, wasn't there a tracking number of some sort? What do they say, or guess, happened to your package?

(Edit: Yeah, I checked the USPS site, Express Mail comes with free tracking. So if you tell them the recipient didn't get it, they should be able to track it down. If not, I'd say they owe you a refund, at least.)

3. You would have to file a claim.

If it was never delivered you *may* get some money back.

Was it insured?

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm not really sure if it was insured or not. The clerk lady did say it was guarunteed for 12 noon the following day. There isn't a tracking number on the slip they gave me, only a barcode. They'd probably be able to match it up I'm guessing?

This sucks.:spit:

5. If it was insured you should know. You have to pay extra for insurance.

You could have filed the claim a day or so after the package was not delivered.

There should be a long series of numbers on your receipt. That will be your tracking number. Did you try it at the USPS website?

One problem with their tracking system is that it is not in real time. I've gotten packages delivered to my door from USPS long before the website was updated and actually showed it was delivered.

First thing I would do is check the tracking number. If it shows it was delivered you may be SOL. If it doesn't have any delivery information you should be able to get your money back. You will still have to go through the claim process and from what I understand it takes a while to get anything back.

Good luck.

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Was it going to a P.O. Box?

I shipped a bass sold on eBay a while back and it sat in the buyer's post office for 2 months because a clerk never bothered to put the "Pick Up Your Package" notice in the guy's box! Lucky for me he was honest because after I refunded his $$$(thanks PayPal convenience! Did I say that?) and PUT A CLAIM in on the insurance....VOILA!!! the bass magically appeared. The buyer told me he got a notice and still wanted the bass...so he PayPal'd me the $$$ back.

Bring your overnight ticket to the Post Office and have the clerk trace it.
    Be nice, compliment the worker, smile, etc. I deal with Boonieland postal folks and being friendly, etc. makes current and future transactions much smoother. Do NOT share your disappointment with USPS with them or point any of the problem at them! You might even make a friend.

Good luck.
    For future reference:
    Ship strings in the "Flat Rate" mailer with the green tracking ticket Priority. Priority seems to get to most parts of the US in 1 ~ 3 days tops from south Texas. YMMV but you still have the tracking and decent rate.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    There are two kinds of Express Mail; overnight and two-day Express Mail. Both are guaranteed and if they don't get to their destination, barring certain circumstances(misaddressed, extremely bad weather, destination unknown, etc.), you do get a refund. Just take your copy of the shipping label to your post office and have them run a track on it.

The reason the tracking information is not updated in real time is because we download the information from our scanners when we get back into the office in the afternoon. When the information is available, it will show the actual time and date of delivery.
    Another thing is that an Express Mail can't be left at an address without a signature UNLESS the shipper specifically requests a waiver of signature. In that case, the carrier will scan the Express as delivered and he/she will sign for the delivery.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I just called my mailman (who I work with at a restaurant) and he said I should be able to get a refund. I have to fill out a bunch of forms and they'll send me a check in the mail.

I got the reciept confused with the label copy I got. I need to go find that reciept!

Still wondering where these strings went.:confused:

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Your copy of the Express Mail label should be good enough. Make a photocopy just in case.