1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double concentric pots... What values??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Claymore, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Hey, guys. So I currently have this 2 knob bass that's volume/volume. Both of the pots are 250k... I want to replace them with 2 concentric knobs for a stacked volume+tone on both. From what I've heard, this is a common upgrade on Jazz basses (although this is not a Jazz). So now technically I will be doubling the number of pots on the bass and I'm concerned about the effect this will have for the load on the pickups and the difference in sound. The concentric pots I'm seeing are 250k/250k, 250k/500k and 500k/500k. What value should I get that will change the load on the pickups the least? Or is the difference negligible? My bass has unusually hot passive pickups if that makes any difference. Thanks for your input in advance!

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Dual, concentric 500K pots will have the same loading as two 250K pots.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Bear with me... I'm still getting used to this messaging format. :rollno:

4. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Thank you. So just to clarify, I should be ok with something like this? 1E7EC747-0B9A-4735-A1BF-CE9287CEF250.jpeg

Clark Dark likes this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yes

6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    and if possible get linear taper pots.:thumbsup:

B500k

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021