Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Thumbing.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jun 20, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, just wondering how you have your thumb/wrist and arm when DT'ing?

Since I started, my thumb has been 'loose' and it tends to do all the thumbing up and down. Recently, I had my first lesson in a long while (I don't watch video's of bassist's much either) and when my teacher DT, his thumb was rigid, and most of the movement came from the elbow/arm.

So am I pretty much doing it 'wrong'? My thumb does go rigid, but when I'm going between strings alot (Say, something like Classical Thump) my thumb tends to start moving and loosening up. I was going to ask my teacher, but I havn't got him for a few weeks..

Is it bad technique?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Good question, I've wondering about that for a while now too. If all the movement comes from my thumb, it tends to fatigue rather quickly. If I use my elbow/arm to move my thumb around, after the upstroke, I'm too far away from the strings to get a decent pop :meh:

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thanks Quatre.

I think the main problem I have when I start using my thumb a bit is it tends to dig in under the string a bit, making lots of resistance on the way up. Perhaps a finger ramp could help?

4. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    perhaps, but i'd say clean up your technique before you spend money.

make sure you're striking down and in, and come back out the same way use your nail

5. Fractal

Fractal

Nov 11, 2004
    Rather then start a new thread I figured I would just ask my questions in this one. I feel that I have slapping down but I am totally a beginner when it comes to double thumping so I want to make sure I am approaching it the right way. First off.

1.Do you pull the down stroke with the same form you would with a normal slap (except of course continueing the motion)?

2.Second is the downstroke a more downwards motion in that you end the motion near the string below the one you hit?

3. Also can you even get a clear ringing downstroke or is it more of a percussive thing with the upstroke bringing a clear ringing note? Because when I try, I cant help but end up muting my down strokes with my thumb. What I mean is that I never really "clear" the string before beginning the upstroke....

4. On the upstroke do you catch it with the top left skin area next to the nail?

Thanks!

6. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    the first attack should be in and down. You should land on the string below you and rebound off that string back up in some what of the same direction. when i come back up i use mostly nail and let it slide off the side of my thumb. all attacks should sound the same voume wise and should be sustainable as individual attacks

7. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi quatre.
    COOL instruction video.
    a bit off topic but:
    What bass guitar are you playing over there?
    I think of buying a 6 string bass guitar too and this
    one got a killer sound.
    would like to know more about this specific model and how much it coast.

Thanks in advance.

(sorry for the off topic question)

8. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    Its a Yamaha TRB-JP the John Patitucci Sig, I lucked out and got it for a cheap $900, but new its about $2300+. Its probably the best bass i've ever played for my playing style. Yamaha's are some of the best most underrated instruments on the planet they're great

9. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks mate, i'll look for it on the shops who distribute yamaha here in israel..... i'm quite sure it's gonna' cost even more with all the taxes on the way . :mad: :rollno:

BTW you play very good!!! do you play only for 2 years??
    or maybe i got you all wrong in the video!!!!

10. Yeah, I was amazed, too. He must've had previous musical experience, but it's still impressive.

Post some videos of you actually playing. That last slap line you played in the video got my interest!

11. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    IF he learned all this in two years he must have practiced everyday of those two years for a few long decent hours. :bassist:

12. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I've been playing bass for 2 years, and Bass was my first instrument. I started playing when i was 17, my senior year in highschool. I've taked 2 years of lessons from a Berklee Performance major graduate. but he never taught me how to slap, I hooked up with a local college student who gave me about 3 slap lessons, and i took off on my own. right now most of my attention is on learning upright. I'd like to go to Berklee full time, sometime next year. but I have practiced up to 13 hours in 1 day. I'm the kind of person who'll work on something till i get it, master it, then be able to use it in a context tastefully. Although there are many times where i try to push my self to see how far i can take my techniques. At one points I slapped Donna lee just like Alain Caron, well not just like, but you get the idea

13. Wow. :)

Very inspiring. Just goes to show what you can do if you really put in hard work.

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I leave the DT stuff to Victor.

15. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    Alain Caron does it, Marcus Miller does it, why cant I

16. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I have this one that i recorded along with the lessons. Again This is my just playing by my self i'd never play like this in a band situation. but here it is

http://www.dubyajoe.com/mxbass/quatre_DT_application.MOV

17. Very nice!! I need to hear more, more!

Are you really popping the strings or more like plucking them very hard?

18. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    its definatly a hard pluck verging on a pop, my finger does catch the string and lift it just slightly, so its not a full on pop because i dont really get behind it, but it gets the job done, and it sounds just fine on my bass. Its almost pluck straigt up, i do get catch the string from below, but it just slides off the tip very quickly. clip your nails