Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Down Sizing. Should I?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by adam on bass, May 17, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am tired of doing shows and people dissing me because I have great equipment. I have worked my ass of to get the gear but feel I am being flashy. I am running Eden WT800 and 2 D410XLT's. My basses are Spectors, 2 czechs, 4 and a 5 ambers. Anywho, I was thinking of calming it down a bit. Getting a couple of Fenders or something and cutting the amps down a bit. Do you think I should care about the other musicians opinions around town, or should they just be jealous.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    nah, they're just jealous... you work for your money and you spend it on something you love.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1

It really is just jealousy. Keep the rig. You've got a sweet setup, man.

:bassist:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I about 2 years ago, I had an MTD (...okay, it was a Kingston), 2 410XLTs, a WT-300 I used a preamp, and a Carvin1000 poweramp.

Yeah, I was 17, and yeah, I busted my butt to get them; and nobody said a word. I suspect because they couldn't tell Eden and MTD from Crate and Squire, but that's neither here nor there.

Do what I did: tell them to like it or go to hell.

Seemed to work pretty decently.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You definitely need to calm it down... I mean, sheesh... Ya know... I'm within driving distance and would be more than willing to relieve you of some of that gear... All you have to do is pay my gas!!! :D

-robert

6. getting the best sound is intricate to playing an aweshow. if u downgrade ur gear, you basically downgrading your music. if anything keep upgrading.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Did I mention I'm now a Mesa owner and have a G&L on the way as well? :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could leave one of the 410's home if it'd make 'em feel better ... NOT!

Just be the elitist snot that you are. Tell them they need to buy comparable gear ... it's the only way they can suck less.

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Keep your shiat, people will always find something to criticize regardless of whether or not it has any merit. Next they'll be telling you to only use one hand while playing because it's flashy to use both.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    What difference does it make what someone else thinks?

You're the one playing through it, not them. Why would anyone diss you for the gear you have? This whole "someone's gear is better or worse than mine" thing is pointless.

They probably are envious. Why else would they say anything negative about your gear?

Keep it. Buy more. :D

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    You got it.

12. Just checked out your website and you sound amazing! Your tone is clear, clean and full. Many musicians strive for this.

I too get flack for my Ken Smith and sometimes wish for a Fender or Lakland to replace it, but I've tried them and they just don't sound as good to my ears.

I'm presuming that your band supports your gear choices from looking at their equipment. Unfortunatly, my band does not, but they live with it.

My advice is to just take it in stride and know that you sound great.

Hope that helps

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't downsize unless it's practical to you, and you still get a pleasing tone. If others will give you crap about your gear, they'll give you crap about other things as well. Now, if you are expecting other people to help cart your rig around, then it's a different story. As a band member I'd be pissed if the guitar player insisted on bringing 2 4x12 Marshall stacks, and 5 guitars if he expected everyone else in the band to help him carry all his gear and took hours to get set up while other band members were setting up other things, like the PA or lights.

I've downsized a number of times in the last few years, just because I'm too lazy to carry around a heavy rig every weekend and I get the sound I want with a smaller rig. I also don't bring my expensive basses to some gigs because I don't want to risk them getting damaged or stolen. But, it's not because of what people say. As one guy says, "Man I'd sound good if I could afford that" another will say "I can't believe he's playing out with that cheap piece of crap"

14. Don't downgrade gear, upgrade Band.

15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Thanx a lot. I have spent years and many a dollar getting this sound. I bought a Neumann U87 that I use on my rig in the studio and that's it. It was a great investment. I was looking at Lakland also.

JIVE:
    I am the one that sets up all the PA and the lights so the other guys can set up their stuff (they have more than me) so no worries there. We are a three piece so not much to mess with.

Thanx to all!

16. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It's time to face facts Adam, YOU are a gear whore! :D

F them. If my wife would let me, I would have too much great gear. I know, I'm whipped and she wears the pants. Whatever man.
    :(

17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I've never even been threatened with divorce, how cool is that.

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Keeping in line with what Smash said. Is the criticism of the sound of your gear, the cost of your gear, or the type of gear?

If it's the sound, it may be that the sweet sound that you hear on the stage could sound like crap from the audience. Or that the rig overpowers other instruments causing an unbalanced mix. If it's the sound man, then there could be a number of issues. For example, if the stage volume is too loud, then the bass can bleed into the mics, causing them problems adjusting the vocals. There's a number of issues dealing with stage volume, and we'll save that for a different thread.

If it's the cost, then it's none of their business.

If it's the type of gear, then people are entitled to their opinion. But since it's your money, your opinion is what matters most.

19. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, I've never heard of someone dissing soemoen else for having good gear. What do they say?

20. "Hey, nice rig..."