Downgrading your rig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aah_scary, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Every time I traded down, i ended up feeling bad. The twinkle of the coin so to speak did not last as long as one may have wished for.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm with the others: don't do it! You'll forget what you did with the extra cash and miss the equipment that you love.

How do I know? I did the same thing and it was super dumb. I'm still living with the "lesser" gear and missing my old stuff desperately.

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I would agree with not selling the bass, unless there is something about the bass that you don't like. I've sold gear that I regretted, and have sold gear that I didn't regret. In the cases where I didn't regret it it was because there was something about it that I didn't like. For example, I sold a Warwick Thumb 5'er once. It was my first (and only) 5 string bass. It was a very expensive way to learn that I don't like 5 string basses.

4. I wouldn't sell a guitar I like, but I've had several stages of downgrades among the rest of my gear, and am always pleased with the results.

I used to practice through a Markbass 1x15 combo, but I traded that for a tiny Phil Jones Bass Cub (13# and the size of shoe box).

But then I needed something gig worthy, so I got a Mesa D-800+ and a Subway 1x15. Too big; too $$$. So I returned the cab, sold the head, and went with a Tecamp Puma 500 and an Audiokinesis Hathor 1203. I got about 1/3rd of my money back and several square feet of floor space.

I got the bug to play through some tubes, so I got an Ashdown LB-30. That was great, but more than I needed, so I sold it and got a CTM-15 plus some money back.

There's a lot to be said for "right sizing," whatever that means to you. For me it meant turning extra watts and bulk into cash. But none of those "downgrades" sacrificed tone or quality.

5. If you sell your more expensive rig for a 'new' cheaper rig in a store then you will get a bad deal and miss out on optimal return value. Instead sell the rig on the second hand market and buy something good second hand back for it. You will get more money in your pocket in the end.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. Heh I know the feeling. I have sold a great high end bass in the past (my baby), because I was in a tight financial spot and I never have been able to buy the same bass back again. Things changed after 2008 and the financial crisis for a lot of people, c'est la vie.

7. I am impressed and encouraged that a Puma 500 and Hathor 1203 cost that much less than a Mesa D-800+ and Subway 115! I love the TecAmp gear I've had the chance to play through.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. I got rid of everything and downgraded. I don't regret it. I put the difference in my savings.

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Well, that's one thing. I've still got the money from selling my expensive gear last year. It only cost me 1/5 of what I spent on those other instruments to build back a small collection & TBH I always felt out of place trying to play those higher end instruments, LOL!

I was thinking about driving up to the RIC dealer some time in the Fall & buying another 4004, but then lamented about how heavy the last one was & how thick the neck was.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    aah_scary and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I have a suspicion that you probably won't get as much as you think selling the gear that you have now. And perhaps, someday before long, you won't be a bedroom player any more, and you're going to end up just rebuying anyway.

Skybone likes this.
  11. Yup. But the big difference was that I bought the Mesa stuff new when it first hit the market, but I was able to pick up the TecAmp and the AK used. But the TecAmp is a real sleeper; for the price it's stupidly small and light, sounds amazing, and has great features.

HolmeBass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Not w/o a great deal of patience & tire kickers.

HolmeBass and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Yikes. This is going to run somewhat contrary to most (all) of the advice of others in this thread. Don't kill me.

Sell it. You're not using it that much and you need the money. You can always get other instruments. And you'll like those too if you do. I've sold some instruments that were "cool" and hey, i lost that cool thing in my life, but the truth was I wasn't really using them that much. And so they were expendable. And I needed the money more. I don't regret it.

This is insanely good advice if you sell. Music stores are not your friends.

14. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    you bought decent, value for money gear that should last a very long time and make you sound as good as your skill will let you for a long time to come...I feel that you did the right thing to begin with and the effort for making a VERY small amount of money is pretty negligible really. If you are still using and planning on sticking to playing bass I would totally keep what you have and enjoy it. We aren't exactly talking about selling prestige gear this is middle road gear that was bought to serve your needs perfectly. IMO no offence or anything do of what you will. cheers

15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Keep your stuff. I've had cheap gear. It's like drivig the cheapest car you can get. It will get you where you are going but you can get there better with a nicer car. Besides, the hit you will take isn't worth it. Keep your stuff. Especially that amp. It's 300-ish USD, and they do t make halfway decent stuff that costs less. Keep your stuff...

16. I actually got more than I expected for my gear...YMMV?

Killed_by_Death and MobileHolmes like this.
  17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    If you must get rid of some but can keep some I'd say keep the pieces of gear that mean more to you and you find to be not replaceable no matter even if they are, regret is pain later on. Anything you don't second guess on should be first to go...again if you must.

18. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I agree, although the Aerodyne is a fantastic bass for a mid-level one.

OP, I wouldn't sell unless you really need the money right now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  19. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Downsize and lose money.

20. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Keep them. You can reconsider if you need the money in the future.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021