Downgrading your rig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aah_scary, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Keep your gear. You might not want to play it today, but you might want to play it tomorrow.

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi aah_scary :)

I am a big "downgrading fan" :D so here is my advice:

1) sell your car and buy a smaller one

2) get the Ibby :bassist:

3) with the extra money buy some flowers for your wife and take her out for diner :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings and

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

wmmj likes this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I tried to downgrade my gear last year. I had 4 basses that cost in the region of $3000 each and, like you I wanted to liberate some cash. So I bought a couple of basses which were several levels down from my current line up, but I found that the difference in quality, sound and feel was very noticeable. And not in a good way!

I've always upgraded my gear, ie bought better sounding or playing instruments each time, so I found that trying to scale back in this way was a real problem. I gave up and my solution was to keep the best 2 basses and sell the rest.

If a $50 bass is good enough to replace your current bass and the differences aren't noticeable to you, go for it. Buy the next bass first then you can decide, in your own time, if it's good enough to replace your current bass. But if your gear isn't breaking the bank I'd keep what you have.

4. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    You should keep both and give yourself some goals so you will use it more.

For example, try to join a band or to start one with more experienced musicians. Both your amp and bass will be fine for that.

This way, overtime, you will improve and naturally need better gear. You will be buy something you will actually be able to use at its best in a productive context and be proud of that.

Also, if you like the bass, how it looks, how it feels, it's a good thing to motivate you to play it.

5. aah_scary

aah_scary

Nov 4, 2016
    West Sussex
    Really didn't expect this to blow up overnight. Thanks for all the responses guys!

On the bass itself, it's a nice bass. I'm not sure how much I like it as I'm an amateur and don't know what I like in a bass yet (other than it has to have 4 strings!), I have no concept of the minor differences between them. That and the fact it doesn't get a lot of use and may or may not in the future were the reasons I was thinking of selling.

I was thinking I could possibly get £600-700 for it (great condition with a Fender hard case), not sure if I'm overestimating that one, but if it would be less, then it's probably worth keeping. Not too sure about the amp, might just be worth keeping it. And on buying new vs used, used is definitely the way to go, but the used market in the UK is really small! Very few in 'pawn' shops, so you're limited to what's on Gumtree and other sites.

The reason I could do with the money is to help pay off my overdraft faster and afterwards start driving and buy a car. It's not necessary to sell, but it would get me to that point faster.

But from the responses so far, it might be best to keep it. I liked the idea of putting it away for a few months and using the Ibby, if I'm not fussed on playing the Fender after that, then it's a greenlight. :)

Apologies for the wall of text guys! :p

6. Nice! Scoring a used Hathor can only be considered a windfall! Used TecAmps are a bit more common, but still a nice get.

7. I realized I never answered the OP question, just chatted with others responses. So here it goes, in case the OP ever come back. :D

The overwhelming response to keep the gear has to be considered against the group you asked: dedicated bass players. In that sense I agree, just keep your gear.

But if you really will never play out or even go to a jam session, the amp is sort of dead weight. You can get a very small and inexpensive practice amp for home playing. The problem is it probably won't get you much money.

Downgrading the bass would probably clear more money, but that bass is a known value proposition - it's a lot of bass for the money. I could see regretting that down the road.

So I am happy you're going to wait it out. Ten years from now you might really be thanking present day you that you didn't sell the bass just so you could buy a car one month sooner.

8. I agree with most you should keep the bass and look for Fender Rumble or even a Peavey Max series combo good luck

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Terrible idea, in my opinion.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

You aren't going to make enough to make it worth doing. If you had a more expensive bass yeah, going to an Ibanez would make you some money. To me, this isn't worth giving up a bass you like.

If it's a cover for G.A.S. then just say so and get what you want.

11. aah_scary

aah_scary

Nov 4, 2016
    West Sussex
    That's a good point. I guess I wanted to be talked out of it more than talked into it. But if you guys say sell, then you know it's what you should do! Keeping it does seem like the better idea. I can try and use it's price tag to motivate me to play more!

Can you really GAS if you don't know what you want from a bass?

HolmeBass likes this.
  12. That's a joke, right?

HolmeBass, SteveC and Wisebass like this.
  13. Unless you're really strapped, I'd hang onto what you have. Better still, get busy practicing, find a band and start gigging. The first question anyone asks at an audition is "do you have your own gear?" and you do!

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi aah_scary :)
    okay I got it! my advice doesn' t help :laugh::laugh::laugh:

thor-loki-oh-yes.gif

feel free to ask :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  15. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    That's the whole point of GAS. You don't know until you get it...

Whether an instrument is right or wrong. We've all done it, we've all spent a small fortune, we've all regretted buying / not buying certain pieces of gear. Goes with the territory really. :D

16. If you don't see the advantage of owning decent gear that's paid for and have no intention of furthering your musical career (as stated, you are an occasional hobbyist), then sell it. Remember that in some cases cheaper gear results in a less than satisfying playing experience. Choose your gear wisely. If the bug bites and you get more serious about the bass, replacing a MIJ Aerodyne will be much more expensive now that Fender stopped producing instruments in Japan. I'd keep the bass.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Not a bad plan at all until you can discern the nuances of bass playing and what features are important to you. The thing is, you have a bass guitar that can afford you to play the waiting game. Once you buy a new bass, it depreciates in value being a used instrument - for most basses, it only depreciates once, a used bass is a used bass after all. This is one reason many people, including myself tend to buy used basses if possible, in most cases, it's not going to lose any more value than what you paid for it, unless you damage it. However, some appreciate in value over time if the particular model is discontinued and keeps appreciating as it becomes more sought after. You're fortunate to have a MIJ Fender bass that is only going to increase in value over time as Fender no longer produces that bass model in Japan. Think of it as a nest egg.

18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    What's an "overdraft" in American? Here, it's a bounced check, or you've taken more money out of the ATM than was in your account. And then they whack you with rapacious fees, and outrageous interest. Because hey, you don't have money, and now you'll really pay. Don't get me started on banks!

My humble suggestion would be a money management forum, or some books or even financial software. Talking to bass players about gear and money is like talking to guitar players about volume, or effects.

Luckily for you, TB has tons of old dogs who have been around the block a few times.

The question is, should I sell stuff I'm not getting much out of, at the moment, to hustle up cash for a car, and get the bank off my butt. This is good, solid, resource management thinking.

Solid transportation opens up a lot of opportunities. Unless you live in an area with really good public transportation, a car is a necessity.

Sometimes, stuff has to go, even at a loss, to raise cash. Sometimes you can wait for your price, sometimes it's more urgent.

Best of luck!

Other than that, my $.02 is: used Toyota.

19. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Yes, in short, taking more out of your account than you have leaving a negative balance. They are usually pre-arranged so it's basically a short term loan usually with a monthly charge for using it plus interest (you don't pay for a regular bank account in the UK, they are generally free).
    Pretty common for most students in the UK and I assume the OP falls into that age bracket ish.

OP keep your Aerodyne they will only get less common as they are no longer produced, get shot of the amp if you're not playing and sort out your overdraft asap (I speak from experience).

Skybone likes this.
  20. aah_scary

aah_scary

Nov 4, 2016
    West Sussex
    Yeah, though it's not fee free for much longer. Still will only be £10-15 a month in charges, so not awful I suppose.
    And it's not too bad, I'll have it paid off in a few months with some restraint! :)

Waltsdog likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021