Downgrading your rig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aah_scary, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. aah_scary

aah_scary

Nov 4, 2016
    West Sussex
    Hey guys, looking to get some advice.

I'm thinking of selling my gear for cheaper gear and pocketing the difference. I'll start off with the fact that I'm a novice bedroom player who bought a good bass and amp not long after I started playing. I don't practice every day or even often but pick it up every now and then. Nowhere even close to being able to play gigs and stuff.
    I've currently got a MIJ FSR Aerodyne Jazz in LPB and a TV Electronic BG250-112 which is a lot more than I need (and maybe a tad expensive). I'm not sure what amp I'd get (Could keep it) but I was looking at getting an Ibanez SR300E, which after picking up in a shop, seemed to be a very good bass for £265!
    I reckon I could get a good £500 by swapping the bass and amp; which, while I don't necessarily need the money, it would come in useful at the moment. The downside is, I quite like this bass, even if it doesn't see a lot of action.

So, if you were me. Would you keep the gear or downgrade?

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    If you love the bass, keep it. I've sold one or two instruments that I loved, and I regret it. An amp is replaceable in my opinion, so if you can sell that and get a used Fender Rumble or small Ampeg for example, that makes sense.

The FSR is a limited run in a popular colour, and will probably hold its value well, it might even increase in value at some point. The Ibanez will most likely not. If you don't need the money, don't give up a good bass.

osonu, Aaron Mc, osv and 1 other person like this.
  3. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I think you would regret it if you sold it. I am still kicking my self for selling two past basses.

4. I would keep what you have. I don't think you'd be happy with cheaper gear even if you think you'd like the extra money...

5. The Terror

The Terror

Jun 29, 2017
    I agree. You have some nice gear. Hold on to it. You won't regret it.

I remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

The Terror.

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I agree...keep the bass at least. And it doesn't make much sense to sell your amp just to replace it with something one size smaller, which is about all you'll able to do, but end up spending probably more money. You could always get a POD to play in the bedroom if you don't want to keep an amp around.

Right now. money wise, you're already at or near the low investment level so selling out to buy more low end stuff, at or near the value of what you have, doesn't make sense.

Aaron Mc likes this.
  7. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I'd hang on to it, at least until you specifically need the extra cash or space. A bird in the hand and whatnot.

--^@

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  8. I would definitely keep the Aerodyne for sure. That is a particularly cool bass and not sure common. As for the amp, the amount of money that you'd pickup by downsizing is not a lot.

Drums are my primary instrument. When I was in my early twenties I sold my first decent drum set for reasons similar to yours, I didn't get a kit as nice for about eight years. I really regretted it.

Unless you are in a very tight financial situation that selling this would fix, I would not do it.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    As others have stated, if you really like the bass, I would keep it if you can unless you really need the money. I have downgraded a few times in the past, and have regretted some of the basses I've let go off. Rule of thumb for me is if the bass is something I can easily find and buy in the future, like say a standard US Fender Jazz bass, then I would have no qualms in selling it. If it's a MIJ Aerodyne in the color I like, I would probably be a little hesitant as it may be difficult to find one in the future.
    Again, this is assuming you really love the MIJ Aerodyne, some prefer going with an Ibanez brand bass over the Fender style basses. if so, I would also consider looking into a used SR500 or above as there's a jump in quality there and the price might not be all that different from a new SR300E.

If anything, the amp is the one I would sell- the bass after all is the instrument and it has to be good enough to encourage you to want to keep playing.

drummer5359 likes this.
  10. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Sounds like you're overthinking this TBH, maybe to justify a bit of GAS with the Ibanez. I know your quandary well, and have upgraded and downgraded many, many, many times.

Sometimes, it's worked. Most of the time however, it's been a complete waste of time & money as the chosen replacement doesn't meet expectations in any way shape or form (and that's after trying them out in a shop!).

The Aerodyne is a cracking piece of gear, if you're happy with it, keep it. You don't HAVE to sell it, you don't HAVE to buy another bass (however, this would seem to be against the general rules of TalkBass, and admitting it would possibly see you banned! ;) :D ).

It is of course, your decision, and yours alone, however, unless you're finding the Aerodyne is "missing something", and you're not actually that happy with it, then keep it. If you aren't happy with it, if you feel it's lacking that certain "something", then scour the market and find something that meets your requirements better. Take your time, do your research, visit some shops and see what's available. Most importantly, try a load of basses out, hands on. Don't be tempted to do it over the internet, you need to physically interact with the bass to see if it's right for you.

But I'd still be tempted to keep the Aerodyne.

11. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if your items where bought ' New ' ... you'll lose more $$ than you'd pocket ... then re-buy cheaper stuff that would lose even more value .. !! kinda a lose/lose situation ...

if you sell things yourself and re-buy Used at the right price ... you'll lose less

12. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I say let your ears decide - I sold roughly $30k in equipment from my recording studio (all top shelf equipment!) to replace it with about $8k in gear because I thought the trade-off was amazing. The $8k gear sounded about 90% as good as my $30k gear. What would I pay $22k extra for a 10% difference? Most people would call me crazy for doing what I did, but most people also wouldn't be able to tell the difference themselves :) Don't pay extra for hype, unless you need it :) Just my two cents.

13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    There's probably an easier way to come up with some extra cash.

Selling gear is a hassle. It takes a fair amount of time and effort, and then there are shipping costs.

I could see selling gear if you were sitting in a room crowded with basses, amps, pedals, keyboards and other music gear. These things can get out of control. I've been there.

But you have a bass and an amp. Pretty much the minimalist approach to realistically playing with other folks. And they are decent pieces of equipment.

The real question seems to be whether you are in to it, or not.

Quickest route to playing onstage, in front of people, with musicians who are into playing: your local blues jam. learn a few 1-4-5 forms and grooves, you'll be thrown in the muddy waters and schooled.

Attachment-1.jpeg

jamro217 and HolmeBass like this.
  14. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    Take the Tbers advice. Don't sell. I did 30 years ago for no good reason other then thinking I'd never use it. Big mistake. My investment back then would be worth 4 x as much today and sound better. As said down the road your bass will hold or appreciate in value. I should have let mine sit under the bed.

drummer5359 likes this.
  15. It's a lot more fun to play with nice gear.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not an Ibanez fan until I tried out the Talman TMB 600 and 310.
    Now, I'm thinking about dropping $200 on this...just because I need a red bass!
    However, the Japanese Aerodynes are some of the best Fenders made.
    20170831_144403.jpg
    I understand these TMB 100s are very good for the money.

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    The gear you already bought and paid for is mid-level, not an insult or anything negative implied, point being, its paid for...keep it...what you may recoup by flipping it will result in a loss, big or small, a loss none-the-less..have fun with what you got, play it loud and play it hard! Rock on ;-)

Sav'nBass likes this.
  18. This diagram applied probably everywhere in the world *except Central Virginia*. The last Central Virginia Blues Society jam I went to had 6 bass players, 4 guitarists, 2 singers (and guitarists), 2 drummers, and one harmonica player. Totally odd.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

We're closer to Bluegrass here in mid-West VA, LOL!

I've done this & later regretted it deeply. I sold my Rickenbacker (pronounced like Linebacker), but I should have put it in the case for a while & just stashed it someplace.
    I guess I got bored with it, but I'd sure like to have it back now.

Get a SR370E, and if you don't need the money, stash the MIJ for 3 months. I'd bet money you'll be glad you didn't sell it when you get it back out again.
    BTW, I really like those Power Span pickups in the SR---E series

Here is the SR370E, all maple:

J31134000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Electric Basses SR - SR370E | Ibanez guitars

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I would not do what you are suggesting.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021