1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR high beams vs low riders.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cz93, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Cz93

Cz93

Jan 4, 2009
    hi, i have an ibanez srx bass and i will be tuning it to drop C (CGCF) and i plan to get a set of dr heavy gauge string (110-50)

i was wondering what would be a better choice the high beems or low riders? thanks

2. the lo-riders have a fat punchy sound to them

but I personally like the treble focused Hi-beams

3. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Go with the low riders. They are a bit stiffer but sound great.

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Hi-Beams sound mid-scooped, Lo-Riders mid-fat, I like the latter. Tighter tension on the Lo-Riders, which I prefer.

TinIndian likes this.
  5. KwinS

KwinS

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Lo Riders for down-tuning. Sunbeams for standard tuning.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ^everything they said.

7. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    and for what it's worth, i heavily prefer the lighter gauge hi beams to the higher gauge. The sound i want when i string hi beams just isn't there for me with the fatter ones. For what you want, low riders all the way.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm always tuned C#G#C#F#, and for years I always got long life from Highbeams, typically 8-12 months of still great zingy sound.

Two months ago I put Lowriders on a couple of basses, and they sounded great for a while, but now after two months they sound kinda dead.

9. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    If you like to slap i dont recomend lowriders, i bought some lights gauage lowriders a gud few month ago and the G snapped after a few days of playing (from popping), i figured it was probs just bad luck so bought some more a few days ago and put them on my MM Stingray yesterday, i had a little slap around on it like 5 minutes ago and the G snapped again! what a waste of £30, but if it wasnt for them snapping i think i would like these strings, but i doubt ill be buying them again.

10. Also the difference between the Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams are the cores are different. The Lo-Riders have a hexagonal core, which bites into the windings and gives the string tension. The Hi-Beams have a round core, which makes the strings less tense and a bit floppy.
    I like both sets, but now prefer the Lo-Riders. The high beams were just too loose for me.

11. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    Depends what sound you're going for. Hi-beams will give you a more piano type sound and, as mentioned before, are great for slap. They are, IMO, perfect for funk, jazz, pop, etc. Now the low riders give you a fat, punchy sound. Better, IMO, for anything rock or heavier.

I personally run the low riders on my five string.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally I don't hear a huge tonal difference between Lo-Riders and Sunbeams, but the difference definitely is in tension. Lo-Riders are higher tension and Sunbeams and much slinkier in nature.

Hi-Beams have much more edge and clarity. Similar tones between Lo-Riders and Sunbeams... not exact... but similar. IMHO.

13. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    They are similar, I guess I should have mentioned that, but to me the Hi-Beams are more crisp and clean while the Low Riders are a bit more fat and heavy.

Disclaimer: This is IMO and amps/cabs/gear also plays a roll in this equation. I can only speak for my personal tastes on my set up.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I was directly comparing Lo-Riders and Sunbeams tone. Altered my post to reflect that.

15. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Just tried Lowriders for the first time, on my Euro Spector 5, and I have to say I like the tone (not as much as Ilike the DR Highbeams, but close enough) and I love the extra tension and how the strings feel and play.

Have to be careful though, 'cause I suspect the higher tension could do funny things to the neck, depending on set-up...

16. eyecandy

eyecandy

Jul 28, 2009
    i'd prefer high beam mediums than the lo riders... or maybe light gauge lo riders for me...

17. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I love lo riders. Tried hi beams and really did not like them. I use standard tuning, but the strings felt way too floppy.

18. zachreh

zachreh

Mar 7, 2008
    south florida
    Are steel lo-riders more mid-scooped then the hi-beams? I have a set of steel low-riders on my traben array obsession now and there just too stiff and rough. Im thinkinking of getting the hi-beams for a more heavy rock sound

19. Gunstringer

Gunstringer

Mar 7, 2008
    personaly, i play drop C# and the loriders 50 were too floppy for me.
    if u are playing drop C i suggest getting heavier strings. there are alot of threads about it here. (DR just announced a Drop-tune strings, the DDT, should check em out, I know i will)
    oh, and lo-riders :) i liked the feel and the sound better

20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Suuuper old thread here, but I thought I'd see if anyone was still home.

I've been using highbeams for a while now and I had my bass set up with them on it. I struggle to tame the highs and the high mid clank out of my rig. Don't know if it's my bass, my technique, my amp, my strings or what. But I usually end up aggressively EQing the highs down on my amp. Works well enough.

Anyway, I had been using high beams. Just tried a set of pressure wounds and didn't like them. Now I have a fresh set of low riders ready to put on. Here's my questions:

1. Will they sound darker than my high beams? (Seems they may, given the discussion above.)

2. Will they raise my action because they are higher tension? ARE they higher tension or is it just that they're less flexible?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021