1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Lo Rider Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JVbass, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JVbass

JVbass

Feb 15, 2009
    Cleveland OH
    I am currently using DR Hi Beams and Fat Beams in the medium gauge .45 - .105. I want to try some Lo Riders and I am concerned that the medium gauge tension will be a little too much for my playing. I was thinking of going with a light gauge .40 - .100. I expect the tension to still be more than the round core DR's. I am curious if anyone could comment on the tension of medium gauge round core DR's vs light gauge hex core (lo riders)
    Thanks!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The tension isn't what changes but rather the flexibility. A 45-105 lorider set will feel stiffer than a 45-105 hibeam set. So like you said the 40-100 set is probably the way to go.

lz4005 likes this.
  3. I once tried the Sunbeams (45-105) and the Nickel Lo-Riders (40-100) back-to-back and found the LRs to be a little more resistant under my plucking hand (in a good way) despite the smaller gauges, while they didn't affect the left-hand comfort too much.

4. JVbass

JVbass

Feb 15, 2009
    Cleveland OH
    Thank you for the replies - I am looking for a darker sound and the sound bites for the lo riders on DR's site really caught my ear.

Woolber likes this.
  5. Yes, compared to the Hi Beams/Sunbeams, the SS/Nickel Lo-Riders do have more subdued top end, but stronger and punchier mids.

6. Does "subdued top end" mean the Lo-Riders are more or less, sounding like a thin skinny-tinny sound?

7. "Subdued top end" simply means not overly too zingy. The Lo-Riders are for the low-mid punch. They're far from being "thin skinny-tinny".

trothwell likes this.
  8. JVbass

JVbass

Feb 15, 2009
    Cleveland OH
    Update - I ordered the DR nickel lo riders in the light gauge (40 - 100). Very happy with results. First time with .60 & .40 - not much different than .65 & .45.....this is after playing for 30 years with .65 & .45. Thanks for all the responses. talkbass has taught me to sometimes think outside the box - I always thought I had to play medium gauge exclusively....Kind of like middle of the road. String preference is such a personal thing....what works for one might not be the best choice for someone else.

trothwell likes this.
  9. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Just try them, not a big expense $ 25.I love them. More than sunbeams , hi beams , I use them on my sadowsky,I like them better tHan sadowsky blue label even

10. How would you compare them tonewise?

11. Sunbeams = Full, warm bottom, smooth but clear top with somewhat scooped mids.
    Nickel Lo-Riders = Stronger mids with more punch, slightly less bottom end.

12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The difference isn't that huge. They feel a little more like any other hex core string (ex D'Addario XLs). The only reason I ever used the lighter gauge Lo Riders was on a 35" scale bass. They were just too stiff @ 105-45. This works great for tuning BEAD @ 120-60 though.