1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Low Beams to the rescue!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayershane, Mar 28, 2009.

1. I just put DR low beams on my Lakland 5501 and my god! Changed the feel and sound of my bass. I love it! I will always use hex-core strings on my basses now, and I think they'll always be DR's! Great tension, especially on the killer B!!!

Anyone else felt this way bout strings before?!!

Giggity!

2. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Hi mate. You're talking about DR Lo-Riders, right? Not trying to be sarcastic, but I got a little confused at first, having never heard about Low Beams. Think you may have gotten mixed up.

Anyway, people here say lots of great things about Lo-Riders, and I think alot of rock and metal players like it. Personally never used it, but that would be the first string I'd buy if I ever wanted a good round wound string (I always use Rotosound flats). Think they're a little hard to come by here in Singapore, though.

You using the steel strings, or the nickel ones?

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    What the heck is a Low Beam??

4. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    As I said, I think he's referring to Lo-Riders. He must've gotten mixed up, since DR has another model called Hi-Beams".

5. Yeh yeh!!! I meant Low Riders! Sorry! Steel strings!

6. Yes sir, I swear by the lo-rider nickels. Great feel.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The nickel version is my favorite string soundwise, hexcore feel is better for me.

8. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I know I'm getting old and feeble, but, I would swear that back in the mid 80's DR did have a string called "low beams"...

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    i don't think they made strings in the '80s...

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It always astounds me what the right set of strings can do for a bass.

The right strings can take a bass from "meh" to "Oh Baby!"

Personally, I prefer Sunbeams, but the Low Riders are nice too. Different strokes. i guess that's why they make more than 1 kind of string :smug:

giggity indeed

11. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    take a bass from Meh to Yeh, that is.

I just bought a yr old Skyline Joe Osborn 5er from a TBer, beautiful bass, 3 tone, burst, Lakland electronics. But it does have about 1 yr old Lakland SS rounds on it. And Im hoping a string change will make a difference. I played a Jobo 5er last year at local store and loved it. Since then been lookind and finally found a good deal here last month and bought one.

Again its a beautiful bass, feels great. I have a 55-02D so maybe I just need to get used to using a passive bass again. I gigged the JO 5 this past Saturday and had a bear of a time getting a good tone out of it. Turned neck pup off, tone knob up/down, bridge pup off then on, then started messing with the heads' EQ. Coulda been the Eden WT550B head too. Just got that a few weeks ago and still tweaking it to get to know it better. Just could not get a great tone like I thought I would quickly. Now I notice the pup & tone knobs really affect the JO5, not like my MIM Jazz 5 which just barely does. So I need to sit home and try some diff settings to get to know this bass better as well.

Also, I can try my other amp heads to see where that goes. Maybe my GBE750 will work better with the big jazz bass. I sure need to change strings as well, those SS rounds trashed my fingers, I usually use nickels or flats. I have a new set of Black Beauties here I got from a TBer for a good price, was gonna try those next. But I've read here the coated strings are just Hi-Beams SS but coated. I think I need to stay off SS rounds for awhile so I ordered a set of Sunbeam nickels from The Perfect Bass just now online, real good price with the TB discount.

Well, I'll try the Sunbeams on the JO5 to see if they make the bass play like I know it should sound. The feel is there I just think a good set of nickels will complete that good all around feel of this bass. May have to go to flats next. But this bass has a huge bottom already so new nickels should do it. And may just try the Black Beauties while I wait for the Sunbeams to arrive. New strings can make alot of things happen to a bass.

Just to stay OT, never tried the Lo-Rider nickels but prolly should to see what they can do.

12. Aren't nickel Lo-Riders the exact same thing as Sunbeams, but with hex cores instead of round cores?

I think that's what I've heard other TBers say.

13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    ya, they're pretty much the " exact same thing " ,,, but different :atoz:

14. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Sunbeam - round core, lower tension, and a little smoother feeling winding to me.