1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dreamy Delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Disc, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Ive been noticing a lot of delays being used recently, so Im thinking about getting one.

What Im looking for is a really dreamy sounding delay, so having a focused sound is not all that important to me. The effect would also have to be analog, digital just wouldnt work as Im thinking about having this http://www.fxdoctor.com/opto.html installed in the pedal if I like it enough. Id like to keep the price under 150$, but thats at the high end of the scale, something around 100$ would be even better.

And for those wondering (theres always one of you :smug: ) I DID use the search function, but everyones opinion is so varied I couldnt find a good answer.

2. Soooooo, what do you expect will be different in this thread? Opinion is all we got!

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  4. Of Course :p What I meant was in the delay mega threads everyone just listed off different makers so I dont know which one is the best for what im looking for :)

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    grab a used Boss DD3. they are an amazingly good sounding delay and work very well with bass. Some say the oldest versions (Made in japan) sound a little better then the Tawanese versions but I dont think you can go wrong either way. My old DD3 has been going strong for ever. It has no noise, is very versatile and gives me a beautiful slap back that really can bring a solo or melodic bass line to life.

Lots of fun!

6. That looks really nice. Chorus and echo would have to give a really dreamy sound.

7. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Memory Man Deluxe. Lushest and Greatest sounding delay I've used/heard.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well i'm a huge fan of the Line 6 Echo Park. Reverse Delay is pretty dreamy to me as is regular delay with some mod turned on.

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I didn't care at all for the H2O...I thought it colored the tone a lot (and even a little in bypass mode). Myself and my guitar player messed with it for a long time trying to find some good sounds and finally gave up...just not for me I guess...

10. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Any Ibanez/Maxon analog delay is a good choice. Though, probably the only pedal large enough to have something added to its insides is the Memory Man, but finding one is working condition for $100-150 is getting harder and harder.

11. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    get an arion digital delay, the crappy 50 dollar one, and mod it to be analog, true bypass, ect. or have somebody do it for you, like it did! or you can get the smart people factory I5 analog delay

12. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX

how would you mod it to be analog if it's a digital pedal? Arion actually makes, or made, an analog delay.
    I hear the new Analog Man one is good, like a Boss or Ibanez analog. The company that makes his has a cheaper one branded "Swamp" on ebay, but is allegedly not nearly as good.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm pretty sure that the I-5 is a digital pedal. Anyway, for your application, I think the Ibanez AD-9 should do the trick. It doesn't have super long delay times, but it should be enough for what you want to do with it. You can find them new for a little over $100.00 new if you shop around.

Also, I had terribe luck with the H2O. The chorus sounded really thin and I had a lot of nasty clipping on the repeats of the delay. Maybe it was just my bass, but I returned it pretty quickly, FWIW.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HK Replex...

~S~

15. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Analogman AR20DL

very warm and fairly inexpensive ($150)

16. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    i stand corrected. i guess the I5 is digital. "analog style filtering" is how they put it. but its still incredible. and i dont know how they did it to the arion, it was a local pedal shop, and my guitarist had it done when he had the pedal. the mystery of my pedals lives on.

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I gots ONE thing to say:

If you're looking for 'dreamy', then you want a delay with MODULATION (they used to ALL have it)!

Back in the late-70s/early-eighties, a rack delay was a one-stop solution for echo, chorus, flange, double, vibrato, and everything in-between!

Joe

18. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Wanted to bump this because I just tried the H2O pedal, and I gotta say it sounds really nice. It sounds natural, really really good.

I was gonna take my bass into Bailey Bros and try it with an active bass, I just wanted to know. Anyone who has played this pedal, does it:

Agree with daisy chaining?
    Does it cut through well would you say?
    Will it blend (and yes I do mean in a blender)

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    least expensive, best Echo I have tried-
    delay.

The best one I ever used was a real Space Echo

20. is this pedal analog? I have such a hard time finding real facts because a lot of pedals are described as analog sounding and the such.

Also, this is off topic, but is the DOD 250 distortion pedal analog?