1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dressing for the stage

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidFudge, Feb 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I'd like to up my game with my stage look. How do you guys dress for the stage? Any pictures? Where do you shop? Obviously it will be very different for different types of bands. Pictures would be great.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Jeans, black shoes, button down (usually black) shirt with either a matching or contrasting t-shirt under it. My avatar is an example.

3. Attached Files:

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I dress kinda like I do in regular life. People have been mistaking me for a musician since before I took up the bass (and after taking it up, too ;)

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I’m the exact opposite - at first people don’t believe I’m a musician and then their jaws drop when they find out I actually am.

BassManKK, Element Zero, Ggaa and 3 others like this.
  6. Been discussed here numerous times, search it.
    Basically dress better than your audience. I.e. if you're a metal band be more out there than your audience members. Have a theme - non matching but commonly themed black leather i.e. When you walk into the place people should be able to tell that you're in the band just by the way you're dressed.

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Go like this. I promise you that they will know you’re in the band. 15C7628C-E4F3-432D-BAD8-94C85CE12575.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  8. reverendboom

reverendboom

Dec 10, 2019
    Sonora CA
    This is what I wear in one of my projects...

IMG_1538.jpg

We play period correct music from the 1850's at Columbia State Historic Park in the Mother Load outside of Sonora CA. It's actually very comfortable clothing.

9. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    My BL said that we can wear anything....but we have to wear pants.

cazclocker and 210superair like this.
  10. These threads never end well…..

I wear jeans and a black shirt. I have zero style and that is a safe choice.

I’d rather wear something sparkly. Now that our band is pretty established I might slowly start sneaking in the roller-disco vibe.

Check out what popular musicians your age are wearing and copy that. I've always been a fan Keith Urban's look....aside from his hairstyles. Helps to be thin and rich.

11. This...button down shirt and a tie...always

full-scale-sierra-2.jpg

12. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Tangential response. The near universal tip I have for looking good on stage regardless if genre....an athletic body (if achievable). Fit people look good in most things. Extremely fit people look good in rags.

LiquidFudge, LBS-bass, cemunk and 6 others like this.
  13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    THEN:

freak.jpg

NOW:

image1.JPG

JPDsma, Wisebass, Glenn Mac and 33 others like this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I wear whatever my Mom lays out for me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

MrLenny1, delta7fred, sears and 71 others like this.
  15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

And it seems they never end. I guess I'm just getting old, been around here too long.

I'll hang up on myself now.

BassCliff

pcake, dan1952, Old Blastard and 3 others like this.
  16. My 0.02 is that, the harder you try, the more you look like you tried too hard. You want to look good - but there’s no need to stand out as the clear rocker dude musician. That worked in the 80’s. Don’t be a slob, but don’t go overboard.

17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @LiquidFudge,

To be serious though, you've been around here since 2014. Haven't you seen enough "how should I dress" threads? Or at last seen enough gig pictures to see how others dress? What makes you look good? What makes you feel good?

BassCliff

18. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    if you are fat, please don't remove your shirt.

19. ranch.

sing-modulator likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My SO and I got invited (through a fluke) to an upscale gallery opening in NYC. I asked the person inviting us what people normally wore to a gallery opening. He replied: “Wear whatever makes you feel fabulous.”

Well ok then…

Note: When we received the formal invitation in the mail we RSVPed our regrets.