1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dressing well and dancing

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by easyj, May 11, 2018.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    ACDC%2BLondon%2BWembley%2BStadium%2B1%2BJuly%2B2015%2B00009.
    It works if done right.

2. Merrell14

Merrell14

Mar 19, 2018
    Not sure if any of this was already said, because I really don't feel like reading through rhe entire thing, but I thought this might bring some light on the subject.

FJBass82 and mrcbass like this.
  3. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Soooooo... this doesn’t.

gebass6 and Korladis like this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    If you don't think Angus Young's approach works...
    Well, maybe we have clashing definitions of "entertainment."

FJBass82, Jhengsman and Pops OB like this.
  5. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Lol, you never said it works! ;)

I prefer music, if I want to be entertained, I’ll go watch Cats.

6. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    no. I've played jazz also. I just like seeing people dancing when I'm playing, makes me feel like I'm making someone forget their troubles for a minute.

FJBass82 and Pacman like this.
  7. Speedhitter

Speedhitter Supporting Member

May 11, 2017
    Torrington, CT.
    David-Ballantyne. It is all about the image! ;)

8. Bizorballs

Bizorballs

May 13, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Rockin’ it!

FJBass82 likes this.
  9. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    talent aside, as important as that is...
    Always dress above your audience.. LOOK like the rock star! Dress the part! Seriously, if you're gigging in shorts, t-shirt and sandals you look like a schlub. Yes, its a business, but the first word is SHOW!

10. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    I play in a trop rock band. Shorts and Hawaiian shirts. I also play in an instro surf band. Jeans and black t-shirt with an appropriate logo. I'd look weird in pants doing trop rock. Refuse to wear shorts for the surf band. That's about the only restriction.

FJBass82 and Speedhitter like this.
  11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Where does a kilt fit in? asking for a friend

30709755_1832393793727927_2016147817285812224_n.

Pendulous likes this.
  12. Nothing says "Dad Band" like a bunch of middle-aged guys wearing shorts and t-shirts, playing classic rock, etc. I understand Staredge's situation, wearing what he does for his bands, and that's OK. The band that I'm in (4 out of the 5 of us are in our 50's) plays covers of classic rock, alternative rock, and a few country tunes, and we have a gig at a subdivision pool party this coming Saturday, where temperatures will be in the 90's with high humidity (and hopefully no rain!), and I'm still going to wear jeans (and a t-shirt and black Converse "Chuck Taylor" high tops). I don't know what my band mates will be wearing but I plan on "looking the part". EricMordus, amen to what you said!

Stan Haldane likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I never "dance" Good equipment, sound good, Play well, stand in the background. Let the lead singer handle it.

FJBass82 and Stan Haldane like this.
  14. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I have never been faced with the situation, but if wearing shorts for a show were required... no thanks, I would not play the show. I NEVER wear shorts anywhere except for jogging. Only my own opinion, but shorts onstage is the ultimate in tackiness (yes, even when Angus wore them). I'd sooner wear a Victorian woman's dress and hat onstage... even that would look "cooler," IMO, than shorts. And I would feel just about as silly, but not quite.

FJBass82 likes this.
  15. Everywhere !
    Dave at Facebook /Piper's Folly