1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drill a hole for a new knob.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philbiker, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If I want to drill a hole for a new knob in a typical finished bass (the one in my avatar) think I'll have any problem just using my good ol' craftsman hand drill?

2. It's better to use a corded drill, then you won't have any problems with the bit slowing down because of battery drain.

And use an awl first. You'll thank yourself later.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    also, tape ovfer the spot that you want to drill with painter's blue tape. drill through the tape. this will help prevent damage to the finish.

4. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1 - also, start with a small pilot hole first.

5. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Also, make sure you're drilling into the control cavity.

6. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    :D

Perhaps obvious, but someone needed to say it. :D

7. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Remove all electronics from the cavity first or you may drill through a wire. Take your time and be careful!

8. I believe he meant the direction of the drill. I second that. I drilled one of my basses from the inside of the cavity toward the body face. Eventhough I used blue tape on both sides, there formed some burrs (right word?) on the body side :scowl:.

9. I would drill with a small pilot bit from the inside of the cavity out trying not to just zip it through. Put blue painters tape on the outside and poke the pilot hole with a pencil and drill back into the cavity. Remember not to rush.

10. Cernael

Cernael

Jun 28, 2008
    Was it just me who took "hand drill" to mean one of the muscle-powered variety?

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Perhaps! I meant a good ol' corded Craftsman drill.

I am very unhappy with the blended P and J pickups in the Millenium in my sig. Soloed, each pickup sounds good (the P is downright terriffic), but any blend sounds like ass. I have an old Bartolini TBIBT in a box; it incorporates a buffered blend so I'm thinking of installing it. I'm not that big on active EQ, but I understand the advantages of the buffered blend in my particular situation. And the control cavity is King sized.

Thanks all for the responses. Now all I have to do is dig up the wiring instructions and get out the ol' soldiering gun.

12. When you say any blend sounds like ass, does the sound get really thin? What it could be is that the pickups are out of phase with each other (just an idea)

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wired a P-J bass that I assembled out of phase recently. Based on that experiment, it doesn't sound like the pickups are out of phase on the Millenium. The sound doesn't sound extremely thin like out of phase, it just sounds wimpy. It's kind of ok for slap tone, but for fingerstyle it falls flat. Maybe I'll try reversing the J bass wiring and see what happens before I go for the "nuclear option" of activating the bass.

14. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Well, I was thinking more of where one places the hole, but good advice is good.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I drill from the finished side to the un-finished side of a piece of wood to avoid tear out... drilling from the cavity to the top would be dangerous for the finish I think...

16. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    yes

17. onesloryd

onesloryd

Sep 16, 2008
    Burbank, CA
    You may also want to consider get a small center drill, as the tip is designed to reduce the chance of the drill walking.

18. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    That is what I did when I added a mid-selector switch (from an Aguilar OBP-3) on an MTD. Drilled from the cavity to the top. A really tiny piece of finish cracked, which I immediately glued back into place. It was not visible in the end as the washer/nut that locks the switch in place covered everything perfectly.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I switched around the wires on the P pickup and what do you know? It sounds better! I've never heard out of phase wiring sound as loud and clear as it did on this bass. Wierd.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    and there you go! I've been pickup swapping a lot over the last couple of years and I'm amazed at how many basses show up with phase issues ... J's & PJ's in particular.