1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drone effect pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by N.F.A., Jan 11, 2012.

1. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    My guitar buddy just got a Fractal Audio AxeFx. Needless to say it is unbelievably good. One patch he made had a drone sound going on behind other effects he had programmed in. Just wondering how I could achieve this live using bass. The only thing I could think of was getting an electric tamboura for drone notes. Is there a pedal with this sort of function, especially if I can change the drone note.
    I have a funny feeling this is going to start a slippery slope to pedal obsession. I used to have a gazillion guitar pedals, but have none for bass right now. I think that it's time....

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    EHX Freeze! FTW

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Woo hoo! That was fast! Off to check out the pedal online. Muchas gracias! Xie xie! Danke schoen!

4. 1. Many *guitar* pedals work fine for bass, & some work well in a noise/ambient/whatever setting- I suggest you try some of your existing stuff(not so much for this application, but you may find a new sound that you like)...
    2. I have a couple of old delays that have a short(1-2 second)sample feature- these might do what you want, & they're often found cheap.

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    What I am thinking is I want a drone note going, while I and the guitarist play over it. The only guitar pedals I have left are fuzz/OD pedals. I sold all my wacky stuff. (Freq. Analyzer, 16 sec. delay, etc.)
    Is there a pedal that actually creates a drone note.
    I guess the Freeze really is the easiest. I may still get an electric tanpura though. Those drones are the bees' knees.
    Which delay pedal are you thinking of bassteban?

6. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
  7. tibpson

tibpson

Sep 8, 2010
    Anything you can have is a good drone effect. Particularly if you plug them all at the same time. XD

8. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I am at work and that axiom effect site is blocked. So, a mod is available for an fx loop? Pedal gas starting to rear its ugly head. Glad I just took on an extra part time job. Looks like I am going to need the money.
    On a different note. Check out the Fractal Audio Axe FX. It is truly amazing!

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    EHX Ravish Sitar?

Boss RXL-20 Looper? (any good looper, really)

Boss (or Behringer) Ultra Feedbacker/Distortion?

10. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    That Sitar pedal looks cool. Thanks for the tips.

11. The Ohnooh Chk Chk Boom might be a good way to get some gnarly feedback from pedals you've got already!

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Pedals that drone?

moog-taurus-3-main-460-80.

Here's my kid droning and whacking on a Whamola.

[​IMG]

13. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I got the Ravish Sitar a couple of days ago. It does have a freeze feature, but only for the high pitched sympathetic drone notes, not the note that you play.

14. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Cool link, have you done this?

15. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    How does the Ravish Sitar sound on bass?

16. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I can't help but tease...

schumann_electronics_drone_accessory_22.

17. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Here's two demos:

Ravish Sitar on bass - YouTube This one is by a non-bass player who nonetheless demos the Ravish Sitar on a bass.

Electro-Harmonix Ravish Sitar demo for Bass Guitar - YouTube This one is an official demo by Bill Ruppert at EHX. It sounds pretty damn good to me.

I'd probably already have this pedal if they had it at my local shop and I could try it out. That would be bad for my wallet, right now though, so I'm glad they haven't gotten it in yet. It's bad enough they have some Moogerfoogers tempting me.

18. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks for the tease ... :( What is that pedal btw?

19. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Who is Gary?

drone_and_PLL_475.

20. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks for the link. I had seen the guitar demo video, but somehow missed the one for bass. A Ravish Sitar is definitely in my future. Wow! You have Moogerfoogers in a store near you? I have never seen one sold in any music store.