1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop C, need more punch!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GLLabelle, Apr 20, 2010.

1. My backup bass is a Schecter Damien 4 and I have never really liked the sound of it when down tuned to match my other bass. There is a significant loss of volume, mostly due to the low tension. I recently inquired about upgrading the pickups but was told it would be less costly to first try using stainless steel strings to get the extra brightness and volume I want.

I was hoping you experts TB'ers would be able to recommend a thicker gauged stainless steel strings for someones who always used EB Power Slinky's exclusively.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I can't offer steels, but it is VERY helpful to start with the right gauging. I would suggest that even nickels would work if you were able to find the right set, but I have a dog in that fight, so that is my opinion strictly.

Look for sets that have gauges close to;

.124 .084 .061 .043
    or
    .118 .080 .058 .043

Of the two the .124 set would let you be more aggressive.

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    If string experimentation doesn't get it, you may also want to consider a clean boost pedal for more punch.

4. DR DDT strings, the 115 ones. Also boost the mids and treble on your amp. Works for me.

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The DDTs are not balanced for drop tuning. Detuning as a set, yes - but not for drop tuning.

6. Uh, where did you hear that from? Because DDT stands for DROP DOWN TUNING.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Get a 5 string set and discard the G string.

You might try BEAD tuning as well.

Or just get a 5 string bass and you will never need an alternate tuning again.

8. That's how I got around it.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the second string from the bottom is a G in Drop C tuning. A normal A string is .085 and a normal E string is .105, so wouldn't it make sense for a G string to be somewhere between the two, say .090-.095?

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    DDT is just a marketing buzzword DR is using; I've never seen it used in reference to tuning until these strings came out. And again, they're being marketed as strings for equally detuning the set as a whole, i.e. tuning all the strings down a full step from from E standard to D standard (or lower, depending on the gauge you get).

"Drop" tuning, while probably not in the dictionary, refers to the lowest string being tuned down a full step further from whatever "standard" the rest of the strings are tuned to.

Drop D = E standard with the E tuned down to D - DADG
    Drop C = D standard with the D tuned down to C - CGCF

So knuckle_head is correct - the DDT strings are balanced for "DDT" tuning, but not for "drop" tuning.

11. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    A .095 borders on what would be acceptable at E - light, yes, but awfully close to a .100 or .105.

I assert than no one is accustomed to looking at gauges that are actually balanced for tension - if you run with a .105 as standard for E even a .080 will be higher tension than the .105.

The .118 set balances better with about 1 pound difference between the different gauges at pitch from string to string. You can check my math with either the unit weight data D'Addario provides on their tension chart, or use the unit weight data I posted for Circle K's on my strings site, but I think I am awfully close to having good balance across the set.

A bit off topic but worthy of mention, is that historically available sets are horribly unbalanced as tension goes. If it is what you're used to, it's working for you and you like it that's fine. But there are other ways, and a number of very good reasons to consider better balanced sets.

12. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    i play standard C tuning. i use dadarios stainless steel 40-125 and throw away the g string. for my taste, the lowest C string is still floppy, but I cope.

13. bigger strings to account for string tension. never play EB strings again. and EQ the mud out. sub lows will make a tidal wave of noise. keep the lows tight and a good low mid attack and you get punch.

playing percussively is just as much a part of the game as your setup.

14. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I tune to drop C# and use RotoSound Flat Wound 50-110 (Rotosound RS77LE Heavy Gauge Jazz Bass Strings) I have no issues, they sound great and that is on a Peavey Grind which is passive.

15. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/drddtelgust.html

They mention right there that they are for "drop" tuning.

OP, try them. I am glad I did.

16. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Thank you for proving my point. Those aren't Strings & Beyond's words, it's just a copy of what's on DR's website.

17. Hi. I'm in a thread trying to help someone who is asking a question. Can you help to? Or are you just trying to troll me?

18. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    If you didn't want me to respond the way I did then you should have posted a link to something that disputed what I said instead of something that reinforced it.

The original poster already got all the help he needed from knuckle_head. He explained what he should be looking for and why. No offense, but I don't see where you've helped him at all. You've made recommendations, but with no explanation as to why. Knowing to use heavier gauge strings is pretty much a given unless you're brand new to the scene.

19. Thanks for all the help guys. The problem I'm experiencing now is lack of inventory in the stores I've visited. It seems that Ottawa area bassists don't need near as much selection as guiatarists!

The only sets I've found with a heavier guage than .105 (other than the EB power slinky's I'm replacing) are long scale, would this be problematic for the Schecter? It's not a short scale neck but is considerably shorter than my L2K.

20. I should add, there a few other stores I'll be visiting on the weekend and hopefully the selection will be better!