1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drum machine???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jaxxfun13, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jaxxfun13

jaxxfun13

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm a new student to bass, my teacher said its a good idea to get a drum machine for practice and rythm....can anyone suggest a decent drum machine that is not too expensive. should i still get a metronome or am i fine with the drum machine??
    thanks in advance
    Jack
    :bassist:

2. Alesis AR-16
    < $100, good tones, & some room to program beats.

3. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I think you mean the SR-16 and they run about $160. As for the sounds, they're the same ones from when it debuted in 1990- Dated to say the least.

I picked up the Zoom MRT3B for $99.95. Since it's newer, the samples are clean and don't have cheesy reverb. Lots of kits and pre-loaded beats, easy to program at a great price.

No, you don't still need a metronome. You can program clicks.

4. froglips

froglips

Feb 9, 2009
    Arizona
    If you get a drum machine you will not need a metronome.

I use the BOSS DDR-880 drum machine. It is a little expensive, but it is probably the best one available out there.

This thing has 500 preset drum patterns you can jam to, or you can make up your own and save them. It has too many drum kits to even try to list.

It also has bass patterns/riffs that play with the drum preset patterns, and you can also make up your own and save them as well. it also has many bass voices to choose from.

You can also plug your guitar or bass into it and use the BOSS ME-6 effects in it the drum machine for them, and play along with the drums and bass already in the machine.

There are seperate drum, bass, guitar/bass input, and master volumes, so you can mix them all properly.

It also displays the chords/notes, measures as the music is playing, and tells you which chord/note is comming up next as well.

It is a really great practice device because you can play any type of drum pattern with the bass pattern mixed in, and play your bass over top of the machines bass/drums while figuring out the correct notes to play by ear AND by looking at the display to know what they actually are if you are having problems figuring it out by ear ... And you can just make up your own stuff so you can just jam with the machine to tighten up your timing skills and have loads of fun in the process.

You would really be doing yourself a huge favor by checking one of these out. Check the demo's out on youtube. You will not regret buying one.

5. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    If you get the drum machine. I suggest you get Ed Freidland's book Bass Grooves. It is like the bassists guide to using a drum machine to become a better bassist.

Also there are freeware drum machines that have a lot of functionality out there too. You just need to have a computer around. As a matter of fact you could have a little netbook with a sweet free drum machine for less than some dedicated ones. The problem is there aren't pads to play manually.

6. Tehrin Cole

Tehrin Cole

Mar 6, 2009
    Brooklyn,New York
    Endorsing Artist:Kustom Amplifiers
    Drum machines are,the ULTIMATE metronomes!Not only can you program your OWN rhythms,you can also program modified metronomes(4/4 accenting 1/8th notes,1/16thnote,3/4,ditto,...etc.),as well as,use the preset rhythms.As I've stated,in a previous posting,what I love about drum machines is that,once you set a tempo,the time WILL NOT BUDGE.It teaches you about your sense of time,in the same sense as,playing upright bass with a bow,teaches you about intonation,...It'll make you pay strict attention!I currently own a Zoom Rhythmtrak 123,....I've had it for 10 years,now,and I still workout with it.As well,It's the MAIN drum machine,in my studio set-up(my board also has a built-in drum machine).Get the drum machine,....you'll be more than happy,that you did! Peace!

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There's some pretty neat little online examples (as well as the freeware downloads mentioned above) to play around with and get you thinking about what features you might want when you buy one. Try this to get you started:

http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/#

8. +1 ^^^

I was just gonna say if you are gonna be near your computer, Download a free one...