Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum mics

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wildsponge, Dec 12, 2004.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I'm working on a home studio and I need some drum mics. Going the shure route with their kit and 2 overheads will cost $750. Carvin has a kit complete with overheads for $400. Does anyone know it they are comparable or at least good bang for buck? I'm just trying to maximize my dollar but I konw going too cheap can be really bad. THX here'ss the link

http://carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=DMK7&CID=MIC

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Get the Carvin set.

3. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Why?

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If you are inexperienced enough at recording drums to ask this question, the limiting factor is going to be your skill level and not the mics. I say that not as a jerk, but as someone who was once in your boat, and is still learning the black art of drum micing a session at a time.

So I would say that you should not spend the extra money. When you're good enough at getting a good drum sound, you'll know what you need in a mic and will be a lot more meticulous about obtaining it. Until then, the Carvin stuff should be fine.