Dry cracked fingers in the winter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Any hard working men out there know what I,m talking about.Cold weather and hard work tear my hands up in the winter.My index finger and middle fingertips crack and bleed.What do you guys use to help heal cracked fingers? It hurts to pluck my strings :mad:
  2. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I use Burt's Bees hand salve. My knuckles have this problem in cold weather and Burt's works very well.
  3. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Drink plenty of water as well. I live at a higher altitude, and water is crucial for preventing dry cracked lips. I figure hydration will also help you, as well as the salve mentioned.
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Chances are you have numbular excema. Ask your doc for a tube of Triamcinalone and use it.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Badger Healing Balm Hand Lotion

This stuff works wonders! :cool:
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Will beat me to it. It is the most expensive moisturizer, but it doesn't smell like flowery stuff, it isn't oily, and it is effective.
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Cool! i guess that stuff is probably only available in the USA :meh:
  8. When it gets really cold and dry, my hands start to crack and I often get eczema, which leads to some very uncomfortable, unsightly skin. All it really needs is a lot of moisturizer and I often use Vaseline Deep Moisture Creamy Petroleum Jelly. It's not a regular moisturizer and really seals in the moisture. Helps me a lot. When I just need regular lotion, I use Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion. Great stuff.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can thank me later. This stuff is the best!

10. since I work days as a mechanic, I suffer from the cracking too. I repair the deep cracks with super glue- Really!!!- and then moisturize with corn huskers. Give it a try, you'll be surprised at how well the super glue works.......YMMV
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The chapped fingers problem has bugged me for years and not just in winter. First, if the little cuts are particularly painful or bleeding, I use Neosporin on the chapped areas at night and cover with a bandage. When they heal, I get out my Neutragena Norwegian cream and keep those fingertips and knuckles moisturized at all times, but especailly after washing.

That cream was developed for Norwegian fishermen...or so the ads claim. It is very soothing.

About the cortisone-type cream mentioned above. It is excellent. Just one thing my dermatologist advised me...do not use that cream more than absolutely necessary. It is a double-edged sword. While it does a fast job of curing chapped fingers, it also thins the skin, thus making it easier for the chapped condition to return.

Everybody above has good ideas. Try them all and see what works best fro you. There is another one that is supposed to be very, very good...Zim's Crack Cream...I bought it, but it is so greasy you can't touch anything with your fingers. I'm sure it helps, but you'd have to sit with your hands in the air until the stuff finally soaks in.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cortizone cream works pretty good...but not good enough. I went to my doctor and he perscribed a heftier steroid handcream that takes care of any problems in no time. After my perscription plan, I pay less than 2 bucks for a big thing of it.
  13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I apply several coats of nu-skin over the crack. Neutrogena makes an excellant hand moistureizer/protectant, use it a couple of times each day. That, and "try" to keep your hands in gloves (or out of the cold air) as much as possible.
  14. Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    I suffer from cracked finger tips year around. I've tried everything out there for relief, including everything that has been mentioned on this thread so far with varying results. Lotions and moisturizers help, but don't take care of the cracks. Steroid ointments and lotions help speed healing, but are reported to thin your skin over time so I try to minimize their use, though I do use them a couple times a week. Super glue will work quite well in a pinch, but it does have the side affect of making the cracking worse if used often as it will dry the finger tips out. Nu skin wears off in about 3 songs for me. The most usefull thing I've found so far is Nexcare Liquid Bandage drops. I put 3 to 4 coatings on the cracks before a gig, and I'm pretty much pain free for the evening. This product is hard to find locally. I've been buying it off Amazon for the last couple years.
  15. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I work outside a lot so using any type of lotion is a must and I use it often. In a pinch, super glue is your best friend as was stated earlier.
  16. If the Nexcare stuff you're talking about is the "gummy" stuff, I like it, but... it's tacky- stuff sticks to your fingers, and it wears off much easier.

Regarding Nu-Skin, I'd rather use superglue- same stuff- 1/5th the price and without the annoying clove scent.
  17. Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    The Nexcare stuff I like is the "Liquid Bandage Drops". It comes in a little metal tube, similar to many brands of super glue. It's tacky for about 2-3 minutes but drys to a non tacky feel (if you leave it alone and don't poke at it while it's drying) and will last through a gig if I use 3-4 coatings. Nexcare also make a product called "skin crack care" which comes in a little bottle with a brush in it. This stuff is OK for speeding healing, but is not as durable as the liquid bandage drops.
    Try 'em both. Maybe you'll have different results.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    I thing that I found that helps me is to take one of those elbow/foot sandpaper type skin smoothing utensils and sand down the cracks as far I can and then put on neosporin and a Band Aid before hitting the sack.

Also, maybe a Band Aid water proof bandage would help during the day. They're pretty sticky and might stay on long enough to do some good.

One time the cracking wouldn't go away and I went to see a dermatologist. I received a an anti-fungal prescription and the cracking went away within a couple of weeks.